DePaul Theatre School announces Wrights of Spring Festival 2015

The Theatre School has announced initial plans for its 2015 Wrights of Spring Festival, which takes place May 19-30.

The annual student-driven festival celebrates young DePaul playwrights, allowing them a space to showcase, workshop and further develop their work. Audiences can witness plays in various stages of completion, from cold reads to full productions.

This year’s festival includes the world premiere of “Video Galaxy,” written by fourth year Theatre School student Jared Hecht, which runs May 22-30. A part of the Theatre School’s New Playwrights Series, the production had its start as a workshop during the 2014 festival.

The festival’s opening night features an unveiling of a themed gathering space called Playwrights Central, in addition to the Playwrights Slam, a series of brand-new, unrehearsed short works. On Fridays and Saturdays, playwrights will showcase numerous under-construction works being considered for subsequent production. The festival will conclude with the Debutantes Ball, celebrating works by first year playwrights.

All events are free and open to the public, and will take place throughout DePaul’s Theatre School, located at 2350 N. Racine Ave. The full schedule and further details will be announced in the coming weeks.