Goodman Theatre’s ‘Upstairs Concierge’ packs quick comedic punch

John Stokvis (Kaz), Tawny Newsome (Ella Elizondo) and Theo Allyn (Mark Merriman) in Kristoffer Diaz’s “The Upstairs Concierge” directed by KJ Sanchez at Goodman Theatre. (Photo courtesy of Goodman Theatre)

The Goodman’s Owen Theater is home to a delightful and energetic show this spring. “The Upstairs Concierge,” written by Kristoffer Diaz and directed by KJ Sanchez, tells a frolicking and farcical tale. Though its duration is less than an hour and a half, it packs a delightful and unmistakable punch.

The production chronicles the dichotomously self-deprecating and self-possessed protagonist’s first day as the concierge of a highly anticipated upscale, celebrity hotel. The establishment operates under the tagline “Your New Family Home.” The atmosphere is homelike: Ella’s bedroom is in the middle of its entrance, and there are no locks on any of the guest’s doors. While the new hotel’s intention seems marvelous and hiccup-free, the collection of guests that first come to visit find themselves hilariously and problematically intermeshed.

Chicago actress, Tawny Newsome, who has taken on the role of Ella Elizondo, has been involved with the production since its preliminary stages many years ago and is no stranger to the character that she portrays.

“She’s not that far from me, mainly because Kris, the writer, is my friend and he sort of wrote the role with me in mind a little bit,” she said. “It is sort of written in a version of my own voice so in terms of how she deals with things, I maybe am not as much of a people pleaser as she is, but I definitely admire how selfless she is and how she just wants other people to be happy and comfortable around her.”

The production’s comedic value ranges from enormously silly to subtly hilarious. Because of her time spent at The Second City, Newsome is no stranger to the large and physical side of farcical comedy.

“We are pretty much dunked and steeped in all types of comedy there so I definitely feel like I can hang, but there are some greats that I am definitely looking up to,” she said.

The show’s mastery of contemporary material elevates and distinguishes it. It is full of pop-culture references, yet it is still somehow timeless and reachable. Newsome described the kind of pointed and current humor that the cast enjoys.

“It is very much a contemporary, very current, good-television type of comedy that we all seem to like,” Newsome said. “To bring that into a farce, such a traditional medium, is so cool and I really think this year Chris really found his rhythm with that and the challenge to make contemporary comedy accessible for a live audience.”

“The Upstairs Concierge” originated as a part of the Goodman’s New Stages Festival in 2013. Here, the production tested its legs for the very first time. Today the show has retained its sentiment and presence but has also undergone enormous changes.

“I think in the preliminary stages it was less physical,” Newsome said. “It wasn’t on two levels, first of all, so there weren’t any staircases. It was literally just a bed in the center of all of these doors. In terms of the writing, I think the writing is stronger this year. I think Chris’ comedic voice is really coming into a fun, unique place I think that he is such a fantastic playwright and on top of that and separate from that he also has such a fantastic taste in comedy.”

Though its presence is loud and its comedy is grandiose, The Goodman’s newest show still retains a delightfully understated element that both complements and balances its larger moments.

“It makes me happiest because I am not one for bit set-ups and punch line laughs,” Newsome said. “I like those, but after working at Second City for so long they almost feel kind of too easy. I am way more interested in the little quirks and ticks and pulls and jabs that maybe only handfuls of people here and there notice and, every now and then, you do enough of them in a row and it swells into a big, overflowing pot of laughter.”

“The Upstairs Concierge” is a balancing act in its finest form. It is as intricate as it is large, as subtle as it is loud, and as timeless as it is contemporary. It never asks or requires anything of its audience members, but provides them with unending gifts in the forms of laughter, story and variety.

“The Upstairs Concierge” will be at The Goodman’s Owen Theatre from March 28 to April 26. Student tickets are $10.