Blackhawks fans swarm Wrigleyville after Stanley Cup win

[slideshow_deploy id=’12651′]

Chaos and jubilation erupted in the streets of Wrigleyville Monday night as Blackhawks fans took to the streets to celebrate the team’s third Stanley Cup victory in just six years.

The streets were filled in spite of rain throughout the evening and the postponement of the baseball game between the Cubs and Indians.

While some arrests were made, the scene appeared to be relatively peaceful when compared to the celebration of the Blackhawks’ 2013 Stanley Cup victory, when several people in the neighborhood were arrested after festivities got out of hand.

This time around, Chicago Police had tight control of the site, and imposed traffic restrictions on an area bounded by Racine Ave. to the west, Sheffield Ave. to the east, Grace St. to the north and Belmont Ave. to the south. For at least an hour after the victory, fans were allowed to walk freely on Clark and Addison Streets as well as Sheffield Ave.

The site of largest congregation was the corner of corner of Clark and Addison, where fans alternated between chants of “Let’s go Hawks!”, “We won the cup!” and “Detroit sucks!” as they sifted through a sea of people with red jerseys and broken bottles at their feet.

Some fans celebrated with fireworks, with several being set off in the empty lot behind the 7-Eleven store across from Wrigley Field. A few climbed the traffic signals along Clark St., which led to some arrests.

Further south in the neighborhood, a parade of cars honked their horns in celebration down Belmont Ave. Many of the cars’ passengers hung out of the windows and popped their heads through sun roofs while waving to pedestrians and reveling in the moment.

Fans will get another chance to celebrate with a parade that is to be held 10 a.m. Thursday beginning at Jefferson St. downtown and heading towards Michigan Ave. A ticketed, free rally will be held at Soldier Field afterward.