Album Review: Rufus Wainwright ‘Out of the Game’

Long-time Rufus Wainwright fans and first-time listeners alike are in for a serious treat. The artist’s newly released album “Out of the Game” actually puts him in the game. Rufus pays self-proclaimed homage to the fact that he is one of the last generations to have experienced the lively ’70s with his euphonious combination of sound.

“Out of the Game” may not be as sonically rigorous as Wainwright’s last album, “All Days are Nights: Songs for Lulu,” but it is an equally enduring experience. “Songs for Lulu” was infused with the grief of his mother’s passing, and even turned several Shakespearean sonnets into melodious tunes.

His newest album is a pure celebration of sound. Wainwright teased fans, releasing a vibrant and hilarious video for the title track, featuring Helena Bonham Carter. And this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Songs like “Rashida” and “Jericho” have an inescapable “sway-inducing” effect, while the song “Candles,” dedicated to Wainwright’s mother, again evinces that poignant sadness he is so musically skilled at.

The song “Montauk” is reminiscent of the beautiful classic music that infuses much of Wainwright’s earlier music. In the behind-the-scenes look provided in the album, Wainwright tells us he actually recorded this track while overlooking the landscape from the roof of his house in Montauk.

The album engages listeners, but it does not require so much that it detracts from their enjoyment. “Out of the Game” is a simple delight to listen to. Its facets, nuances and poetic lyricism are completely attainable.

Rufus Wainwright’s newest album is a beautiful culmination of everything he has achieved thus far. There is an underlying joy that binds together every song on the album, creating an experience rather than individual tracks, something that is difficult to find on albums today.