DePaul SGA meeting recap: Resignation, appointments, Vinny Van

Following the furor of constitutional revisions during the past two weeks, DePaul SGA’s Oct. 1 meeting passed with a relative lack of fanfare — with the exception of a resignation announcement from the general body.

Speakers

• The meeting began with a set of guest speakers from DePaul’s Office of Health and Wellness Promotion. Shannon Suffoletto, director of the office; Michelle Johnson, coordinator; and Kate Lower, alcohol and substance abuse prevention specialist, all spoke to the group about the confidential survivor support system that their office provides. Additionally, they collectively explained the new three-hour bystander intervention training course that the office provides. Interested parties are encouraged to contact Suffoletto to request a session.
  • Also present to speak were members of DePaul’s Health Education Action Team (HEAT). HEAT is a non-confidential peer education group that works with HPW to promote pertinent messages of health and wellness. This season they are focusing on preventing the flu, colloquially known as “the DePlague.”

New Business

• The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Senator Nick Albano has resigned. “It has become abundantly clear to me that I can no longer serve the students of LAS in the way that is required of me,” he said in a resignation letter. Students interested in the vacant position may send in a resume and cover letter to Vice President Ric Popp.
  • Appointments: The appointment of Senator for Fourth and Fifth Year Students Clark Fox, Senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Bohdana Bahriy, Senator for the Theatre School JD Garrastegui and Parliamentarian David Meunier to the Elections Operations Board was approved. In this position, they will serve as mediators in case of misconduct during the upcoming elections process.

President’s Report

• President Vanessa Cadavillo urged general body members to attend the events that they sign up for the full duration of time that they indicated they would be present on the sign-up sheet.

[box]Read: Full coverage of Student Government Association[/box]

Treasurer’s Report

• Treasurer Damian Wille is still working on improving scholarship opportunities for continuing students.

EVP of Operations

• The Vinny Van, which escorts students back to their dorms when they are out late studying for finals, will operate from Oct. 5 to 11.
  • DePaul cannot put Public Safety at the Fullerton ‘L’ stop, as it is not on DePaul’s property

EVP of Student Affairs

EOB Report

• Voting for the upcoming elections begins Monday, Oct. 5 at 9 a.m. and closes Wednesday, Oct. 7 at noon.

Senators Reports

• Senator reports remained menial. Senator Fox called for a moment of silence for the victims of the shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.