SGA: MAP grant advocacy at top of agenda

DePaul’s Student Government Association held a meeting on Nov. 5 to discuss general affairs.

Guest Speakers

• Newly elected EVP of DePaul Jeff Bethke came to speak to the group. He currently serves as treasurer of the university, and will assume his new position in January. 

President’s Report

• President Vanessa Cadavillo described SGA’s efforts to promote MAP as being in “full throttle.” According to Cadavillo, State House Representatives will vote on funding the program on Tuesday, Nov. 10.
  • Cadavillo reported that SGA was commended during a Board of Trustees meeting that she attended for its MAP work.
  • Additionally, Cadavillo reached out to Bob McCormick, who is Vice President of Information Services, to inquire about recurring Wi-Fi issues. Students are urged to call DePaul’s technology support office if they encounter such problems.

Vice President’s Report

• MAP advocacy events will be held on both DePaul campuses on Monday, Nov. 9.
  • Vice President Ric Popp encouraged General Body members to fill out course evaluations and to urge their constituents to do so as well. A more thorough completion of course evaluations will help improve the new data available for certain colleges on Campus Connect.

EVP Reports

• EVP of Student Affairs Patrick Pfohl reported that the most recent Student Leader Round Tables went well.

Senator Reports

• Several senators detailed their efforts to promote MAP funding within their individual constituencies.
  • Senator for Second Year Students Amanda Cervantes created a survey to ask students if they would like a dessert bar in the rotating Student Center restaurant next quarter.
  • Senator for Graduate Students Chris Witting created a survey for graduate students to get feedback about financial aid.