Lollapalooza expands to four days

Josh Leff
Lollapalooza attendees wander through Grant Park during Lollapalooza 2015. The festival has sold out quickly for several years. (Josh Leff / The DePaulia)

Lollapalooza announced today that its 25th Chicago festival will span four days, not three, in Grant Park. The 2016 festival will include more than 170 musical acts. 

“It’s our 25th anniversary and we wanted to do something really special and different for our fans. There’s a lot of really great music coming out in 2016; with the abundance of talent that wanted to help us celebrate 25 years we got to thinking…‘How are we going to fit all those great artists in one weekend?’ Then we thought about what a special day Thursday has become,” festival founder Perry Farrell said in a statement. “When the party can’t wait for the weekend, the movers and shakers make it happen on Thursday! So, we’ve put together an entire additional day of music to celebrate our milestone year. It’s going to be a fantastic party!”

Three day general admission tickets will cost $335 and one-day tickets will cost $120 per day, an uptick from last year’s price of $275 for a three day pass.

The move aligns Lollapalooza with several other four-day festivals, such as Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, though Bonnaroo is not located in a city. Its other large-scale competitors, such as Austin City Limits and Coachella, have expanded to two weekends of three-day festivals. This year, a three-day Coachella pass runs $375, and a four-day Bonnaroo ticket costs $324 not including pre-sale deals.

Lollapalooza 2016 will take place July 28-31.