Felicia Chester picked 14th in WNBA Draft

Felicia Chester was drafted by the Minnesota Lynx at no. 14 overall, with the second pick of round two in the 2011 WNBA Draft. She is the highest-drafted DePaul player ever, and the seventh Blue Demon to be selected in the WNBA draft.

DePaul Head Coach Doug Bruno had this to say about Chester’s career at DePaul:

“Felicia Chester is one of the best players and best people I have ever been blessed to coach. She is also one of the totally most underrated. Our DePaul success this season was a direct result of all the ‘little things’ that Felicia contributed to our DePaul team.”

Chester was one of five seniors on the Blue Demons roster this past season and finished second on the team in scoring with 11.4 points per game, and first in rebounding with 6.6 boards per game. She started all 36 games for the team this year, and became DePaul’s 26th 1,000-point scorer by scoring 19 against University of Connecticut earlier this season.

“Felicia is a consummate competitor who is a great post defender as well as being a great secondary help defender,” Bruno continued. “She always had her teammates’ backs. This season Felicia showed the world that she could also score the ball, having her biggest scoring games against our toughest opponents like UConn, Notre Dame and Stanford. I applaud Minnesota for seeing through all of the hype and picking a really special player and person.”

Speaking of the Huskies, Chester will now join forces with former Big East rival Maya Moore, who was drafted first overall by the Lynx.

Fellow senior Blue Demons Deirdre Naughton and Sam Quigley went undrafted.

-UPDATE-

A few hours after the draft, the Minnesota Lynx and Atlanta Dream announced a trade. The draft rights to Chester were sent to Atlanta in exchange for Australian forward Rachel Jarry, who was the no. 18 overall pick, and a 2012 second round draft pick. So Chester is now likely headed south instead of north.