‘In the Blood’ to open at The Theatre School

(Photo courtesy of THE THEATRE SCHOOL)
(Photo courtesy of THE THEATRE SCHOOL)

“In the Blood,” written by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Suzan-Lori Parks, will be performed this month at The Theatre School.

The play takes place in modern-day, urban America and tells the story of homeless, single, African-American mother named Hester and her search for the fathers of her five babies, her five “treasures.”

But it’s also a search for the other half of the story: a representation of the American Dream versus the American reality, paired with the blame and condemnation of black women .

This show presents 11 different characters with each actor portraying two characters, save that of Hester, reflecting the multi-faceted irony of American society and the American Dream, and the typical dichotomies of American society.

Monologue is also vital in setting a confronting yet hypocritical tone for the play. Touching scenes are juxtaposed with difficult and raw truth, reflecting the true American reality. This play shows what happens when the guilt and blame of an entire society manifests itself in one woman, a black woman, in white, patriarchal America. What happens when the woman whom everyone takes from has nothing left to give?

Directed by Nathan Singh, the cast includes Samantha Newcomb, Ayanna Bakari, Lily Rosenzweig, Nosakhere Cash O’Bannon, Jerome Beck and Sam Kotansky.

“In the Blood” is showing Jan. 22 through Jan. 3 2016 with performances at 7:30 p.m. and a Sunday performance at 2:00 p.m. at The Theatre School in the Healy Theatre located on the fourth floor. Tickets are $15 for the general public and $5 for students.