SGA: TEDx event, MAP politics

SGA: TEDx event, MAP politics

Student Government Association held a general body meeting on Thursday, Jan. 28.

They discussed the politics of the MAP Grant, as well as DePaul University’s TEDx event planned for Spring Quarter. There will be no SGA meeting next Thursday.

Guest Speakers

• José Padilla of the Office of General Counsel: Padilla gave a “thumbnail sketch” of who he is and what he does at the University, he said. He explained that the office “represents the university” in legal advisory and action. Importantly, it provides free legal services for DePaul students. The office serves roughly 250 students each year, with plans to expand that number. He offered himself as a resource “for those interested in politics and law” as well as for legal issues. Padilla answered questions from Amanda Cervantes (Senator for Second Year Students), Jocelyn McGee (Senator for the School of New Learning), and Kristina Pouliot (EVP for Academic Affairs).

New Business

• New senator: Zoe Wildasin, who has served as the Liaison for Demonthon, presented her resume and cover letter to apply for the Senator for Third Year Students seat. After a text-in vote, she was accepted against one nay vote.

President’s Report

• FAFSA: President Vanessa Cadavillo again highlighted the Keep Calm and Do the FAFSA campaign, since the FAFSA should be submitted by Feb 1. This is especially important for MAP recipients.
  • MAP funding pending: Cadavillo explained a big change in the politics of the MAP Grant. The House and Senate have now both passed a bill, called SB-2043, that reinforces MAP funding. It is now up to Governor Bruce Rauner to sign it.
  • Cadavillo talked about #DePaulWorldReady, one of DePaul’s upcoming marketing tools.

Vice President’s Report

• Vice President Ric Popp emphasized the next two MAP Advocacy days on Feb. 1 in Lincoln Park and February 3 in the Loop. SGA had 5,000 postcards printed this year and hopes to have them all filled out by Illinois residents, particularly students.

EVP Reports

• EVP for Academic Affairs Kristina Pouliot continues to work with the library on an initiative for a book swap where students donate their old textbooks and receive their new textbooks. She also plans to advocate for open-source textbooks.
  • EVP for Operations Adriana Kemper said that the Vinny Van will be back next week.
  • EVP for Student Affairs Patrick Pfohl met with the Office of Student Involvement about voter registration.

Senator Reports

• Senator for the College of Computing and Digital Media Michael Greene continues to work on a textbook affordability initiative.
  • Ted Talk: Senator for Transfer Students Omar Escamilla talked about the TED Talk that will be held at DePaul. TEDx DePaul will be held on April 29, with the theme of What must be done?
  • Spirit wand: Senator for Mission and Values Michael Mulligan is working to start a “spirit wand” tradition during Blue Demon Week, where whoever has the spirit wand must go to every event during the week. In another effort to increase campus affinity, he wants to start a tradition of rubbing the hands of the Msgr. Egan statue before a big exam.