In summertime, denim shows its true colors

Bold colors are saturating the racks in stores and even appearing in interesting articles of clothing: namely, jeans. Canary yellows, fierce corals and bright purples are electrifying the streets in a flurry of legs.

A change from the usual pop of color in shoes or handbags, colored jeans are fashion-forward and risqué. Wearing them exudes confidence.

While last year’s statement was in the necklace, the focus has shifted down this summer with the attention on the gams. From the runway to city streets, the jeans are painting the town rainbow as trendsetter celebrities put their best colorful leg forward.

You can find bottoms in just about every shade in the crayon box, from bubblegum pink J Brand jeans to a sea-foam green high-waist jeans from Akira. Aside from an array of colors, bottoms are taking on several textures and styles. Metallic and paint-splattered pants swept the runway of Balmain, and Isabel Marant recently covered everything from flaming red cropped pants to sequined pants in a striking blue (as seen on Blake Lively).

I’m not too fond of colored jeans, but I do like the lacy and floral print jeans,” said Colette Benvenuto, assistant manager at Francesca’s Collections, a favorite shop of DePaul students. “I feel like a lot of urban people wear bold pants.”

The key to effectively pulling off the trend is to keep the rest of the outfit simple, since the pants are the focal point. You don’t want to go overboard with prints, and you certainly want to avoid personifying a crayon by choosing a different color for your top.

“You have to tone everything else down,” said Caitlin Smith, 21, from Logan Square. “When I’m wearing my colored jeans, I’ll usually pair it with a black or white shirt, something neutral.”

Expect to draw a lot of attention, and maybe criticism, when stepping out in this trend, especially in the loud colors. Junior Carleigh Rinefierd is certainly not a fan.

“I just find them really unattractive and unflattering, especially when you see them in crazy colors like hot pink or bright green.”

If you’re too fashion-conscious to fully jump aboard this trend wearing a pair of highlighter yellow jeans, you can still join the hype with a pair of jeans in a toned-down color, like a pale blush, or put a twist on the classic blue with enhanced shades, such as sky or royal blue. For a slimmed-down and under-the-radar look, try deep purple or slate jeans with a dark blouse.