Full Moon Jam offers a different view of Chicago

Chicago hosts many events to satisfy any taste for entertainment. But there’s one event that takes place every full moon, which you probably haven’t heard of: Full Moon Fire and Drum Jam.

Full Moon Fire and Drum Jam (FMJ) is a community gathering where fire spinning enthusiasts and local drummers share their passions for a night under the full moon. People can bring their own drums, light up chained poi or blankets to participate in the jams. These jams offer a night that’s out of the ordinary, complimented by a summer night by the lakefront with hundreds of gathered people.

The event is organized by a group of fire fanatics, not by the City of Chicago. Liz Campanella is one of those fire fanatics and founding member of Full Moon Fire and Drum Jam. She is a fire spinner herself with nine years of experience.

“People who spin, evolve a relationship with fire which they just can’t help but share,” said Campanella. “So we [fire spinners] try to open up peoples’ worlds to a beautiful and artistic way of expression.”

“Full Moon Jam is like a gathering of a fire tribe,” said Mitch Davidovitz, an FMJ organizer and fire spinner of five years. “This event was created by fire spinners because a lot of us perform at private events. So this is our way of giving back to the public for free.”

It’s not just the spinning that creates the tribal atmosphere, but also the combination of the large, beating drum circle and the presence of the full moon.

“The full moon is a symbol that everyone knows,” Davidovitz said. “There’s something distinct about a full moon because it happens every month. As the full moon appears, people gather in a celebration of life, laughter and renewal.”

Each night is unique in itself. While every jam offers the same festivities, the gathering of strangers and friends is what makes the night compelling. The audience is where most of the community building happens as people howl at the moon or converse about the Chicago Bulls. A person playing the flute marches around the circle as two young girls with dreadlocks yell warrior chants. There are pockets of people that line the circle with laughter in crescendo.

But anywhere you look, people sway to the rhythm of the drum as the flicker of fire and light of the moon shine upon them.

“There’s a great amount of energy exerted in each jam,” Davidovitz said. “I love to perform along with the other fire spinners, so the crowd can feel our energy that way. And we [fire spinners] in turn, feed off their excitement. But the drum beat that pulses through you is what makes the night vibrant and primitive. This is an interactive event on every level, in a place that you would least expect it.”

Originally starting off with 15 people who gathered to celebrate a birthday back in 2004, these jams have grown in every aspect: spinners, drummers and attendees.

Now, people of all different ages, interests and ethnicities come to join in one activity.

“There is a sense of community built around Full Moon Jam,” said Campanella. “While we have grown to accommodate a thousand people at times, we still consider ourselves to be a big family.”

Free and open to the public, the event is located in Lincoln Park just a half mile south of Foster Avenue near Montrose Beach.

“Since we use a public space, we follow public policies,” Davidovitz said. “There are no drugs or alcohol permitted and we ensure that the audience is protected in a safe environment. We continuously evolve, so if there is something we see unsafe, we rectify it for the future.”

Campanella, Davidovitz and the rest of the Full Moon Jam organizers do their best to make sure the night is safe, first and foremost.

“We increase the safety aspect every year,” said Davidovitz. “We now hold safety seminars for prospective spinners before the event. This is how we [FMJ] know they are safe, talented and won’t injure others.”

The events run no later than 10:15 p.m. and take place every full moon. For further information, refer to the Facebook page, Chicago Full Moon Jam.

So next Wednesday, June 15th, when you look up into the night sky and see the full moon, be sure to remember this event. It is a great way to expand your mind culturally and become part of something new.