Love yourself and your friends this ‘Galentines’ Day

It’s around that time of the year when people are questioning why they aren’t in a relationship. Valentine’s Day Hallmark cards start to pop-up everywhere, and stores have humongous heart shaped balloons, with aisles covered in red and pink, as if cupid decorated the store itself. 

But the pressure buying a perfect gift and impressing a significant other isn’t in the cards for many singles this year. Instead, many have embraced going solo on what might otherwise feel like a depressing day without someone to love.

DePaul student Meghan Smith, who is single, talked about how much she loved Valentine’s Day. She considered it as a day to celebrate everyone your loved ones, whether you’re in a relationship or not.

“I don’t think because you don’t have a boyfriend or girlfriend it’s not a reason to not celebrate it,” Smith said. “It’s not about necessarily romantic relationships, it’s about love in general.”

Last year Meghan and her sister dressed up, went to see the popular movie “Fifty Shades of Gray,” and went to dinner for Valentine’s Day. Feeding off of last year’s celebration, she’s throwing a Galentine’s party.

Galentine’s Day is the day before Valentine’s Day, where “ladies celebrate ladies.” It’s a way to honor friendships and enjoy some fun with the girls, asintroduced by Amy Poehler’s as Leslie Knope in a 2010 episode of NBC’s “Parks and Recreation.” In the episode, Leslie Knope and her friends leave their husbands and boyfriends at home and go out for brunch. The Feb.13 celebration has become popular with single women and women in general.

DePaul student Lorissa Laforge said the episode from “Parks and Recreation” sparked an interest for her to join her friends for brunch on Galentine’s Day.

“You go out with your girls for brunch or lunch, whatever it be and celebrate yourselves.”

Karlie Thornton, another single DePaul student, is planning on attending the Party Noire Valentine’s Day event, black organized event, geared towards people of color. Thornton was looking forward to meeting new people and most of all appreciating having a good time without having to be in a relationship.

“I think it’s really important if you’re single or in a relationship to have time for yourself,” Thornton said. “It’s important to know yourself, to love yourself, and to just tell yourself that you appreciate it and love it. At the end of the day, that’s all you need and that’s what’s going to attract good people into your life.

Even though it’s the season of love, sometimes it brings on the season of breakups. After a recent breakup, DePaul student Nick Lonsdale said he won’t join a partner for Valentine’s Day this year. But, he didn’t let that hold him back from celebrating the day of love. He was looking forward to hanging out with friends and found a perk to being single for Valentine’s Day.

“I can go to a party without stressing about my boyfriend freaking out over me being around other guys,” Lonsdale said. “I don’t have to be stressed about that, which is a benefit.”

In the midst of Galentine’s Day parties, and fun gatherings, student Jordan Johnson planned on celebrating his Valentine’s Day in a more peaceful setting consisting of a lot of stretching.

“I might get some flowers for my friend and invite her to a couples yoga near where I live,” Johnson said. “It was just something I saw so I thought it’d be fun.”

Although he wants to pursue his friend that he’s taking to yoga, Johnson said it was a perk being single, since he’s not obligated to buy and or take her out. He wanted to make the gesture, because it’s something he wanted to do rather than “required,” to do.

“I don’t feel obligated to do something special for someone,” said Johnson. “If I do, I do, and if I don’t, I don’t.

Valentine’s Day is no longer just for the romantic one-on-one dates. A lot of people are looking to their friends, family and whomever they want to surround themselves by to have a love filled day. Smith highlighted the fun of just enjoying the moment whether you’re single or spending Valentine’s with your friends.

“I don’t know if I’d say there’s benefits to being single or benefits to dating, I think it’s just your mind set,” said Smith. “You can look at it and say, ‘yeah I’m single and it’s Valentines Day,’ or ‘yeah I’m dating and it’s Valentines Day, but regardless I’m going to enjoy it.’”