Along with the chill and crispness that lets you know October is here, you’ve probably started to notice pink ribbons being placed around, signaling the start of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. In an attempt to honor the fabulous women in my life who are battling or have battled the disease and their many supporters who bleed pink, I’ve put together a playlist of some classic girl power jams sung by some empowering women vocalists.
1. “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child – I don’t know about you, but hearing Beyonc’ÛÎ©, Michelle and Kelly sing about being an invincible warrior is the best antidote to that feeling you get when you’ve just about had it and want to give up.
2. “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson – It’s been two years since the 27-year-old talent passed on, but her voice, especially in this song, is eternal.
3. “Girlfriend” by Icona Pop – The Swedish duo has delivered yet another in-your-face anthem like their big hit “I Love It.” If you’re looking for that song to show your best home girls how much you value them, look no further. You have full permission to dance on tables and spill your cocktails all over the place while this song is playing.
4. “We Can’t Stop” by Miley Cyrus – You know what’s so great about this song? It’s an ode to a “do what makes you happy” attitude. Miley is doing her own thing, not minding the negativity, and I applaud anyone who “don’t take nothin’ from nobody.”
5. “Part of Me” by Katy Perry – While Perry has put out many chart-topping, high heel-stomping tracks, this one just seems so fitting for this playlist. I know she’s singing her heart out about ex-husband Russell Brand, but this song is applicable to every moment when you feel like you’re being beaten down by the world.
6. “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera – Holy vocals. Admittedly, it took me a while to appreciate this song for more than just its bold vocals. Once I got over how incredible Aguilera’s voice complements the rock-pop tune, I began to fall in love all over again with the song’s encouraging message.