NBC’s new sitcom, ‘Whitney’ just a placeholder show

While the commercial previews for ‘Whitney’ may seem convincing, it doesn’t cover up the fact that ‘Whitney’ isn’t that great of a series. It just seems like NBC needed a TV series to fill in the 8:30 slot to replace 30 Rock until midseason (due to Tina Fey’s pregnancy).

‘Whitney’ is about a couple, Whitney (Whitney Cummings) and Alex (Chris D’Elia), who have been together for three years. Despite having a solid relationship, Whitney is not ready to get married any time soon. In the series premiere, Whitney and Alex are invited to a wedding. Whitney wears white, but Alex tells her she can not wear white to a wedding because of the bride will be wearing white. Whitney then decides to dress in yellow, only to find out that the bride is also wearing that color. This was one of the main highlights of the pilot.

Aside from the wedding, Whitney tries to spice up her sex life with Alex by role-playing as a nurse. Alex goes along with it, but doing so causes him to get a concussion when he hits his head right on the counter. Whitney takes Alex to the emergency room, and the rest of the episode proceeds to go farther and farther downhill.

In general, ‘Whitney’ does not stand out as a new series. The humor doesn’t feel original. It consists of and gags we’ve all seen before in other classic comedies like ‘Friends’ and ‘That ‘70s Show.’ If NBC keeps producing episodes like this, ‘Whitney’ may soon be cancelled, just like the NBC show ‘Love Bites,’ which only ran for eight episodes.

There is a possibility that ‘Whitney’ can turn around and prove the viewers wrong. Many shows on television now, like ‘Happy Endings’ and ‘Parks and Recreation,’ started with a rocky season but eventually improved. However, it is doubtful that ‘Whitney’ will join these ranks.