Sexual Assault Awareness Month highlights resources, diversity issues

Events covering self-care, campus resources and issues of diversity will take place this month at DePaul in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The annual campaign aims to draw attention to and educate students on issues of sexual violence and prevention.

On April 8, students will be able to meet DePaul’s new Sexual and Relationship Violence Specialist, Hannah Retzkin, who was hired March 1.

“This can be a difficult topic for some people to discuss, but it is so important,” Retzkin said in a Newsline article. “The information we share can shape the way students think about their relationships. It’s also important to give students this space to be heard and give them resources for whatever it is they may be experiencing.”

Retzkin will also work with DePaul’s new Title IX coordinator, Karen Tamburro, who is responsible for ensuring that DePaul comply with the law that prohibits sexual discrimination. Tamburro was hired Sept. 8, 2015.

This month’s events were coordinated largely by the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness, in collaboration with campus groups and departments.

No Means No
April 5
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, Room 324
Join STRONG and the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness in a conversation about sexual assault on campus and race.

Poster Display: Sexual Violence and LBGTQ+ Communities
April 4 – April 8
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center 105

Let’s talk about sex (baby)
April 7
1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 314
This workshop will discuss the intersection between sexuality and values, posing questions about what is important to individuals about sex/engaging in sexual relationships with another person. Come and learn about healthy relationships and misconceptions about sex.

Yoga: Caring for the mind, body and spirit
April 7
4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Lewis Center, Miraculous Medal Chapel 1st floor
Yoga is an ancient and time-honored practice that supports and nurtures participants’ body, mind and spirit. UMinn loves being able to offer this class, free of charge, to DePaul students, faculty, and staff in a place as peaceful and spiritually nourishing as the Chapel in the Loop.

Snack with Impact: Meet the new Sexual and Relationship Violence Prevent Specialist
April 8
1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 302
Stop by, have some lunch, and chat with Hannah Retzkin about Sexual Assault Awareness Month and moving forward to create a better community.

It’s on us: Prevention is possible
April 11
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center atrium
Commit to helping keep women and men safe from sexual assault. Make a promise not to be a bystander to the problem, but to be a part of the solution.

Mind, Body and Spirit: Exploring Different Modalities for Healing After Sexual Assault
April 12
6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 314
Survivors take many avenues to heal from sexual assault. This panel discussion will help to explore trauma-informed holistic healing. Practitioners from the Breathe Network share their approaches to healing from sexual assault in an embodied way that integrates spiritual, physical, and mental aspects.

Hip-hop class: Empowerment & Strength Through Dance
April 12
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
The Ray, studio B
As part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness and Campus Rec invite you to a Funky, Fabulous, and Fun hip hop dance class.

Step up to the plate: Take the pledge
April 13
3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Cacciatore Stadium
Join us to cheer on our softball team as they face Purdue and take the Its on Us pledge. Together we can be part of the solution to ending sexual violence.

IMPACT: Self defense workshop

April 13
8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
The Ray

It’s on us: Prevention is possible
April 14
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center atrium

Two to Tango: Find Rhythm in Your Relationship
April 14
7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
The Ray
We welcome our guest, Sway Dance Chicago, in teaching the basic figures of Tango. Tango is the ultimate communication between two people allowing two bodies to dance as one. Come learn to lead and follow, promoting trust in one another. Bring your partner or a friend.

Food for thought: Love, sex and spirituality
April 15
1:15 p.m. to 2:15 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center CCM lounge
Come join us for lunch and a conversation about love, sex and spirituality within a Catholic context.

Love and Madness: A Thriver Talks Back
April 18
Noon to 1 p.m.
DePaul Center, floor 11
Join a thriver as she performs and discusses the journey from sexual assault and domestic violence shame to self-expression and empowerment.

Panel Discussion: Sexual Violence Response & Resources
Tuesday, April 19
3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 314AB
Come meet DePaul University Staff and learn about sexual violence response policies and resources available on and off campus.

Swiping Right: Discussing the Pros and Cons of Dating Apps and Hook-Up Culture
April 20
2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 314
This workshop addresses the use of dating apps and campus hook-up culture. Join us to create a conversation about the benefits and drawbacks of dating apps and hook-up culture, as well as the ways these apps create new meanings of sex, relationships, and dating.

Sexual Assault Awareness Month Movie Night: Eden
April 21
7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Corcoran Hall
Join us for watching the award winning film “Eden,” which is about a young Korean-American girl, abducted and forced into prostitution by domestic human traffickers, who eventually joins forces with her captors in a desperate plea to survive.

It’s on Us
April 22
2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Cortelyou Commons
It’s On Us is a summit by the students, for the students where the Greek community and student organizations are able to come together to address sexual assault, how to make an impact, and have a voice. This is our campus, it’s on us to make a difference. Arrive with a $10 donation for Rape Victim Advocates. Hosted by Sigma Phi Epsilon and HPW.

Female Genital Mutilation in Egypt: Women’s Rights to Their Body
April 26
5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Arts & Letters room 103
Female genital mutilation is an old, barbaric practice in Africa. In Egypt, it is the most prominent from traditions and a false belief that it is an Islamic practice. While many imans, muftis, and religious leaders write against this, it is still conducted to this day. Many organizations such as UNICEF-are working to educate and help eradicate this practice. It is banned by the government and recently much attention has been brought to the subject to try and stop the practice within the next 10 years.

Rape Culture: What it is and What We Can Do About it

Wednesday, April 27
1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 315
In this workshop, we will break down the definitions of rape culture, discuss examples, and identify how it affects all of us. Join the discussion and learn how to start creating change around this issue.

Vinny Vow: Bystander intervention workshop
April 28
4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Lincoln Park Student Center, room 324
A bystander is someone who sees a situation but may or may not know what to do, may think others will act, or may be afraid to intervene. The Vinny Vow: Bystander Intervention Workshop teaches potential bystanders safe and positive ways they can act to prevent or intervene when there is a risk for sexual and relationship violence.