SGA: Field Day, spirit section leaders

Student Government Association met Thursday, May 5 to discuss topics including an upcoming “On Thursdays We Wear Blue” Field Day.

Guest Speakers

• SGA expected Provost Marten denBoer to attend, but had to begin the meeting without him.

New Business

• SGA announced the appointment of a Constitutional Revisions Board member to fill an empty seat and voted in Senator for Third Year Student Zoe Wildasin.

President’s Report

• Vincentian Service Day: President Vanessa Cadavillo reminded senators that SGA will participate in the May 7 Vincentian Service Day by volunteering at the Southeast Environmental Task Force.
  • Controversial speaker: President Cadavillo also brought awareness to the fact that the College Republicans plan to bring a guest speaker, Milo Yiannopoulos, to campus on Tuesday, May 24.

Vice President’s Report

• Field Day: Vice President Ric Popp announced a decision to “end the school year off with a bang” with an “On Thursdays We Wear Blue” Field Day event to be held on Wednesday, May 25 from 4 pm to 8 pm on the quad. Highlights will include a nacho bar, water balloons, free t-shirts, painting, giant Jenga and other events sponsored by organizations across campus.
  • Why hold this event on a Wednesday instead of a Thursday? “The whole point of it is, we’ll distribute these shirts and everyone will wear them on Thursday,” President Cadavillo said. 

Elections Operations Board Chair Report

• EVP for Academic Affairs Kristina Pouliot revealed that Honors program students will now have access to course evaluations when choosing classes. “Kristina championed that,” President Cadavillo said.
  • EVP for Student Affairs Patrick Pfohl congratulated everyone involved with Demonthon and SGA’s team for participating.

Senator Reports

• Crowd leader: Senator for Mission and Values Michael Mulligan advertised a new position he helped create, a YELL team leader. He described it as similar to a spirit section leader where students would be paid to attend sporting events and keep the student crowd excited and moving. “If you’re willing to stand in front of a group of people and embarrass yourself, it’s the job for you,” Mulligan said.

Commencement Speaker Chair Report

• Commencement speakers for each of the graduations have been chosen, said Megan Scoville.

Elections Operations Board Chair Report

• The deadline for SGA application material submissions will be Monday, May 9 by 5 p.m.