Trump officially wins GOP nomination

Republicans made official Tuesday what has been known for months: Donald Trump will be the party’s nominee for president.

Delegates from various states and territories gave their official stamp of approval with little drama, a vastly different image than was expected just a few months ago, when a contested convention was considered a strong possibility.

Nope. Instead, the 2016 Republican National Convention continued the trend of modern-day political conventions serving a largely ceremonial roll; a chance for the party to portray unity after a divisive primary season.
In order to do this, the RNC in its opening two days turned toward the party’s great unifying forces: their strong disapproval of presumptive Democratic president nominee Hillary Clinton and the prospect of the continuation of President Barack Obama’s policies.

Indeed, several speakers, from former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, made passionate cases against Clinton. Much of the criticism focused on the former secretary of state’s record during her time at the State Department as well as lingering questions of trustworthiness surrounding her email practices.
And boy was it popular with the convention crowd. Fervent chants of “lock her up, lock her up,” rang through Quicken Loans Arena several times throughout the first couple days of the convention.

Other speakers included House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who made the argument that too much was at stake for another four years of Democratic rule, especially with the balance of the Supreme Court at stake.

Day three starts Wednesday evening with several former presidential candidates scheduled to speak, including Sens. Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Vice Presidential Candidate Mike Pence will give a primetime speech as well.

Trump is expected to accept the nomination on Thursday.