Lollapalooza: Day Four recap

Attending three days of Lollapalooza is quite the achievement in itself, but four days is in all honesty a remarkable feat. And in what seemed to be a special festival because of the extra day, might now become a trend as Lollapalooza confirmed next year’s festival would follow the Thursday through Sunday music escapade. Sunday’s festival this year was the first day; the look of exhaustion might’ve been more apparent than excitement on some faces. Yet, the concluding day was more than a satisfying finale as LCD Soundsystem managed to conjure every last bit of energy in the crowd and release it through their set. While bands and artists from FIDLAR to D.R.A.M. certainly glimmered on the hot summer Sunday, LCD Soundsystem shined as they proved their reunion tour was worth one’s while.

Hip-hop artist D.R.A.M kicked off the fourth day of Lollapalooza. (Josh Leff/The DePaulia)

D.R.A.M.

In what was probably the strongest early afternoon act of the festival, hip-hop artist D.R.A.M. kicked off Sunday starting with his hit summer song from last year, ‘Cha Cha’, throwing the crowds into a dancing frenzy. And while he may not be the most recognizable name or face to many, D.R.A.M. is quickly rising in the industry after his growing hit ‘Broccoli’, as well as being featured on two songs on Chance the Rapper’s latest mixtape. The short and sweet set by D.R.A.M. was enough to start the day off to one last full throttle festival adventure.

F.I.D.L.A.R introduced punk rock to the Lollapalooza stage. (Josh Leff/The DePaulia)

FIDLAR

Much like D.R.A.M., I would tell you what FIDLAR is an acronym for but I don’t believe the words would be appropriate for this paper. But even more like D.R.A.M., you can be sure their performance was more than appropriate at Lollapalooza. If there was one thing missing the past four days, it was some punk rock, and FIDLAR—whether you’re a fan or newcomer—they delivered. FIDLAR’s set was one of those that at least a quarter of the fans lost their voice at. This band was untamed, and the crowd let themselves loose with them—just a quick performance of ‘40oz. On Repeat’ proved that right away.

Local Natives

Local Natives was one actually one of the only bands I saw this festival that I had seen previously before—as they performed at DePaul’s FEST in 2014. And while the crowd was probably three times larger than it had been on the campus quad two years ago, the indie rock band was just as captivating as ever. In the age where hundreds of indie bands sound far too similar, Local Natives songs from ‘Wide Eyes’ to ‘Fountain of Youth’ have a special personal touch to them that’s hard to put in words. It’s a band you’d expect to play at Lollapalooza, one that won’t disappoint, one that captures each face in the crowd as they sway their heads to the slackened sounds of the stage.

Flatbush Zombies introduced several guest singers to the stage. (Josh Leff/The DePaulia)

Flatbush Zombies

I’d say this is the weirdest name of an artist I’ve came across this weekend, but I’d probably be lying. Regardless of their funky name, the Brooklyn rap trio brought some freshness to the festival’s hip-hop genre as single artist bringing out surprise guest after surprise guest can only get so exciting with every name checked off. Their song range was possibly the most impressive part of the set, with the slow beats of ‘SMOKE BREAK’ transitioning to quicker paced ‘Palm Trees’.

VInce Staples capitivated the stage with his smooth vocals and confident appearance. (Josh Leff/The DePaulia)

Vince Staples

Staples had a promising close to the genre that had practically dominated the majority of the festival’s afternoons. The very youngWest Coast rapper stood comfortably on stage, confidently approaching the mic as if he already knew the crowd of fans were his. Staples shines in his lyrics, their full of metaphorical phrases, references to history, that just add to his brilliant vocal intensity. For some his music was something to jump up and down and dance to, for many they were just in attendance to listen.

LCD Soundsystem

The electronic dance punk band had been set to appear on stage around 8:30 Sunday night, yet hundreds of fans stood promptly all day on the newly browned grass to get a clear look at the band—most seeing them for the first time since their legendary breakup five years ago. I don’t know if there will be ever be a better Lollapalooza send-off set to dance than what LCD Soundsystem carried last night. You know it’s a dance party when there’s a disco ball on stage. Kicking it off with ‘Us versus Them” and ending with probably the most anticipated song of the night, ‘All My Friends’, LCD Soundsystem took an exhausting worn-out crowd and brought them back to a different time and place, surely getting some of the shyest fans to dance their hearts out. It’d be hard to compare who was happier that LCD Soundsystem were back playing together, the fans or singer James Murphy, whose big smile didn’t sway away off the concert screens all night.