All the new stuff on Netflix this fall

The beginning of the school year brings stress, homework, and fortunately new Netflix releases.

This year, Netflix is spending $1 billion on producing new original content.  Through the success of shows like “Orange is the New Black”, “House of Cards” and “Stranger Things”, Netflix originals have received more attention, prompting the rapid release of more to come.

With new content premiering at such a fast pace, it is easy to miss releases of new seasons and shows, and many fall in the background. In September alone, four Netflix originals are premiering, and many more to come through the end of the year. Here is what to look out for.

Originally airing on A&E for three seasons, “Longmire” was picked up and renewed by Netflix in its fourth season. The American crime drama series is based on the Walt Longmire Mysteries series by author Craig Johnson. (Photo courtesy of Netflix)

Easy

Premiere date: Sept. 22

American independent film director, writer and executive producer Joe Swanberg debuts a new Netflix original comedy anthology. Set in Chicago, “Easy” stars a diverse cast of characters making their way through love and life obstacles that arise while living in the city. Orlando Bloom, Dave Franco, Malin Akerman and Elizabeth Reaser are just a few of the well-known actors and actresses starring in this series, and it will consist of eight half-hour episodes

Iliza Shlesinger: Confirmed Kills 

Premiere date: Sept. 23

Shlesinger, a well-known comedian, premieres her new comedy special reflecting the difficulties of being a woman as just one of the many topics addressed. Her special is projected to be her best yet, attacking very real issues in an exceptionally comedic light that never fails to make the audience laugh. Shlesinger is also known for hosting the TBS comedy game show “Separation Anxiety” and was the season 6 winner of NBC’s “Last Comic Standing.” This is her third special, and was filmed in April at The Vic Theatre in Chicago. Her two previous specials, “Freezing Hot” and “War Paint”, are also available on Netflix.

Longmire

Premiere date: Sept. 23

Known as a neo-western crime drama, audiences are anxiously waiting for the premiere after a season 4 cliffhanger that left them on the edge of their seats. According to The Wall Street Journal, the series is “the best of two worlds: a modern crime drama with dry wit and sometimes heart-wrenching emotion that’s also got a glorious setting under the big sky of Wyoming.”

Luke Cage 

Premiere date: Sept. 30

Marvel’s new action-fiction and drama web series “Luke Cage” is based on the comic character of the same name. As part of the Avengers lineup, Cage is married to Jessica Jones, and gained his superhuman strength and unbreakable skin after a sabotaged experiment. This series explores the ex-convict’s determination to rebuild his life in Harlem by facing battles and confronting his past.

Known for his appearance in CBS's "The Good Wife" and starring in TV crime drama "The Ringer", Mike Colter stars as Luke Cage, the newest Marvel superhero to get their own Netflix show. (Photo courtesy of Netflix)
Known for his appearance in CBS’s “The Good Wife” and starring in TV crime drama “The Ringer”, Mike Colter stars as Luke Cage, the newest Marvel superhero to get their own Netflix show. (Photo courtesy of Netflix)

Black Mirror 

Premiere date: Oct. 21

Originally airing on Britain’s Channel 4, Netflix purchased the rights to the series, and Cris Abrego and Charlie Worwin produced a US version as the third season. Containing a different cast and setting each episode, “Black Mirror” explores the techno-paranoia that shapes our lives today. Known for being emotionally suspenseful, this thriller portrays the unsettling dark and heavy impact technology has on society.