DePaul rapper opens for artist, Dreezy

Rapper Dreezy performed in front of a sold out crowd at Reggie’s Rock Club with help from the opening act artist and DePaul student FemDot, who brought energy and surprises to the South Side performance. 

Along with Dreezy and FemDot, last Tuesday’s concert was a venue packed with local Chicago rappers and hip-hop artists, both big names and unrecognizable ones.  The night was one full of vibrant Chicago pride, as the crowd and artists danced together unison.

Opening up the night FemDot danced across the stage, performing with an amount of energy that hyped up the crowd.

DePaul rapper, FemDot, balances class during the week while traveling to different states on the weeked to perform. (Photo courtesy of Brittany Cannon)

DePaul rapper FemDot, also known by his real name, Femi Adigun, manages to be the newest signee of Chicago’s Red Bull Sound Select, traveling across the country to perform on weekends and attending class on weekdays.  The forever-busy artist manages to balance his time between his music and studies throughout each week, a tight schedule that at moments asks for back to back attendance.

“I actually just left the library,” FemDot said.

After FemDot’s performance, the DJ readied the crowd by getting them to chant “I love Dreezy” before the rapper came out.

“I am here for Dreezy, I have been supporting her since her first mixtape,” Sean Jackson, a 25-year-old fan, said.

Dreezy, the 22-year-old main act, stepped onto the stage with a smile on her face that was contagious. Still very young in an industry dominated by men, she proved not only that she can rap, but dance and sing as well — a triple threat.

Although the Chicago-born rapper may be new to the Interscope record label, Chicago has gotten used to Dreezy since her arrival on the city’s rap scene in 2012. With appearances on different Chicago artist projects and a number of mixtapes of her own, earlier this year she dropped her debut album titled “No Hard Feelings” and has been named the “princess of Chicago rap” by Noisey, which is a part of Vice.

While she’s certainly left her mark in the industry as one of the many upcoming rappers in the Chicago music scene, Dreezy still made a point to gain new fans at every one of her concerts.

unnamed-2
Fans raise their phones in the air to capture the Chicago rapper, Dreezy’s performance. (Photo courtesy of Brittany Cannon)

“I see some day one fans in here,” Dreezy said, pointing out and naming some supporters in the crowd.

Dreezy started the concert off unexpectedly with her cover of “Chi-Raq,” which arguably is the song that jump-started her global career.

Although female rappers in the past have been over-sexualized in the media, Dreezy took a different approach, showing she has racy songs but she can be a top lyricist as well.

Dreezy’s artistic ability of capturing the realities of life in South Side Chicago by incorporating music and dance has always been one of her many talents.

After coming out to “Chi-Raq,” Dreezy dove into songs from her album, rapping her Gucci Mane-assisted single “We Gon Ride” “Spazz” and “Ready.”

Dreezy performed song after song with no breaks and also brought out special guests. The crowd was not prepared.

Chicago veteran King Louie popped out on stage, assisting Dreezy on their song “Ain’t for None” with him following their performance, with a medley of his most popular songs.

The surprises didn’t stop there.

Newcomer Chicago rapper “LudFoe” followed Louie’s performance with a compilation of his own songs as well.

As Dreezy ended the show, she switched up her range by singing her Jeremiah assisted song “Body” and T-Pain assisted song “Close To You.”

With her DJ mentioning they were leaving the country tomorrow, Dreezy took one last look at her sold-out crowd and made a promise for the future.

“When I have my next show it’s going to be bigger and better, I’m going to perfect my craft,” said Dreezy.