Sandi Marcius of DePaul men’s basketball signs to play overseas in native Croatia

(DePaul Athletics)
(DePaul Athletics)

Another former DePaul senior has signed a contract to play professional basketball overseas.

Sandi Marcius, last season’s starting center, signed Tuesday with GKK Sibenik of Croatia. Marcius was only at DePaul for one season, having spent four years before joining DePaul as a graduate student.

Veskovic Miljan of Sport-Connect first reported the news.

With the signing, Marcius returns to his native country of Croatia. In June, Marcius told The DePaulia that ideally he wanted to return to Europe to play, but would have settled for anywhere.

“I love the style of living there so that’s what I’m leaning towards,” Marcius said at the time. “You can’t be picky in your first year, right?”

Marcius averaged 4.8 points per game and 4.8 rebounds in 18.6 minutes per game for the Blue Demons. While he shot 60 percent, Marcius didn’t have the impact at center that was desired, having replaced Donnavan Kirk, who transferred to Miami.

Marcius showed promise in some games (19 points and 12 rebounds in a win against Florida Atlantic), but also struggled plenty. He was relegated to the bench near the end of the season, starting in only 24 of 33 games.

He is the second player from last year’s squad to play basketball overseas. Cleveland Melvin, who left DePaul midway through the course of the season, signed with Alba Fehervar Friday.

Brandon Young is the only former senior left who has not signed to play anywhere overseas, even though his intentions were to keep playing basketball. Young had draft workouts with the Dallas Mavericks, Charlotte Hornets and the Chicago Bulls leading up to the draft in June.

Ed McGhee, the team’s other senior, will remain at DePaul as a graduate assistant.