St. Vincent’s DeJamz: April showers

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)
(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

While the month of April certainly means warmer weather is upon us, it also means a whole ton of rainfall is coming too. 

Whether you’re walking outside without an umbrella or warm and dry in your apartment, rainfall can be both beautiful and dreadful.  If there’s one thing the past few weeks have shown us, it’s that Chicago rainy days are here to stay this month.  Here are four songs to help get you through a warm-weathered rainy day in the city.

1. “Yellow” — Coldplay

This is for one of those days where you’re stuck inside looking out the window at the rainy weather outdoors while simultaneously contemplating your life and the world around you.  While the song’s lyrics are a reference to the band’s lead singer Chris Martin’s unrequited love, the music video accompanied with it is merely Martin walking on a beach as rainfall pours down over him.  Certainly not the most joyful song from Coldplay, it surely adds to a rainy atmosphere.

2. “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” — B.J. Thomas

Easily one of the catchiest songs on this list, the 1969 song written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach was originally created for the film “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” for which it won an Academy Award. Recorded by B.J. Thomas, the song quickly became a hit outside of the film and was actually the first American No. 1 hit of the 1970s.  If there’s a song for a happy-go-lucky rainy day, this song is your best bet.

3. “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” — Creedence Clearwater Revival

A good tune to accompany B.J. Thomas’ cheerful song, “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” by Creedence Clearwater Revival describes a sunshower, natural phenomenon when rain falls over the sun.  While the sunshower description is the band’s explanation for the song, other fans have speculated the song’s lyrics refer to the Vietnam War, with the “rain” being a metaphor for bombs falling from the sky.  While Creedence Clearwater Revival has always been known for being political, this speculation has never been proven true.

4. “Purple Rain” — Prince and The Revolution

While “Purple Rain” is merely metaphorical, the song by Prince and The Revolution is undoubtedly a classic that can’t be missed from this list. To Prince, the phrase meant “When there’s blood in the sky – red and blue = purple(…) purple rain pertains to the end of the world and being with the one you love and letting your faith/god guide you through the purple rain.”