Candidates to build SGA back into DePaul community

boy
(Photo courtesy of JACK EVANS)

Jack Evans, Senator for the Driehaus College of Business:

Student Government Association (SGA) at DePaul has held the unfortunate reputation of being an organization that does not serve the students. There is a lack of transparency and commitment to the students which leads to empty promises, disappointment and exclusion. It is time action within the organization changes.

SGA is in a position of power and has the ability to benefit and support all students, yet none of their resources and connections are being utilized.

It’s time the organization has leaders that reflect this mentality and are driven enough to act on it. They need to be willing to push the boundaries to create real change for every student at DePaul. Together, we can begin by challenging the status quo of the academics here. We need to build a road map for students that provides transparent access to internships, scholarships, workshops, budgeting and financial support and major/degree information.

A standard policy must be created across all schools concerning course evaluations and grade challenge reviews. Finally, we need to bring SGA back to its purpose: listening to students and solving their problems. This can be tackled in academic affairs by creating school advisory groups. I am running for Executive Vice President of Academic Affairs to work with every student at DePaul to support and solve your problems.

Student government is not an experiment, and I am ready to help push to become an organization of transparency, action and inclusion. Student government needs to commit to you, the students, not just through our initiatives but by listening to your concerns. This election is about more than just position titles, it’s a chance to redefine how student government serves you.

marina
(Photo courtesy of MARINA CORONA)

Marina Corona, Senator for Commuter Students

DePaul means something different to everyone. This is truly a school unlike any other. No matter who you are or where you come from, the one thing that should be universal is that DePaul should feel like your home away from home. I learned too late that as a commuter. DePaul would never feel like a home unless I made it one.

Once I became more involved, I began to feel like a real Blue Demon. That first year, though, was rough. I only had the friends I made in class; I went straight to school and straight home. I resented myself for choosing a commuter school. But then, by some divine intervention, I met someone who bled royal blue and scarlet red. She showed me that DePaul doesn’t have to be all work and no play — there’s plenty of play around. I’ve always wanted to help people, and anything I did was done with the purpose of learning more about the world around me and servicing the people and communities I interact with.

I didn’t know I was Vincentian until I came to DePaul. Being a Vincentian means asking yourself constantly what you can do to help others. I work for Jumpstart, a nonprofit that helps preschoolers in under-resourced neighborhoods gain valuable literacy skills. Jumpstart has inspired me to adopt a service mentality. Every chance I get, I want to help make the world a better place for those around me. This is sometimes small scale, like helping a friend get through a bad day. Sometimes it’s large scale, too.

I am running for Executive Vice President of Student Affairs because I want to ensure that anyone at DePaul who is or was in my shoes, or similar shoes knows about all the amazing possibilities for exploration, experience, and growth. I also want to amplify the Vincentian mission by expanding on existing leadership and community service opportunities, ensuring that my fellow Blue Demons get the most out of their time here. Together, we can make DePaul a home for everyone.

girl-thats-not-marina
(Photo courtesy of MANDY CERVANTES)

Mandy Cervantes, Senator for Third Year Students

Being a Vincentian does not mean you have to be Catholic. When I started here at DePaul University, I immediately fell in love with the Vincentian mission and I started to think about ways I could help my fellow students. When we go to DePaul we do more than just sit in a classroom for a few hours and go home. We are constantly asked to think critically and think about the world we are going to serve when we graduate. At the end of the day, the Vincentian question is more than just a great saying that goes well on posters around campus.

“What must be done?” is a mission statement, not for the university as a whole, but as a mission for the world we will graduate into. For as long as I have been at DePaul, I have known the mission and values and lived by them in my daily life. I often put myself in a position of leadership which enables me to better serve my community when I ask myself “what must be done?” about the issues me and my community face.

Because of this, I began to serve as a senator my second year at DePaul, aiding and representing the student body as our campus climate changes, as do the issues my constituents face daily. As a leader, I have to step into the shoes of my peers and adopt their issues as my own so that I may better understand them and build a better community. In order to better serve a community, you must be a leader and be ready to do what is needed for justice, for the people, and in this case, for DePaul. It’s time to elect leaders who are willing to work for you and represent your voice rather than being the voice of the university to you. It’s about getting back to the idea that Student Government is students working for students. We are here for you. We care about you and what your needs are. Overall, being a Vincentian leader means being more inclusive, transparent and community-oriented. In the end, we know what must be done. Do you?

We know the first step in changing our government is hearing from our constituency: all of you. No matter who you vote for, please take the time to vote this May 8th-12th at votasga.depaul.edu.