Wintrust Arena lands 2019 women’s regional

Wintrust Arena, the new home for DePaul basketball starting this fall, will be one of four regional sites for the 2019 NCAA women’s basketball tournament, the NCAA announced on Tuesday.

DePaul will be the host-serving institution, which will mark the first time they’ve hosted an NCAA tournament game since 2012, when Allstate Arena served as the host site for first and second round games. Allstate Arena also hosted the regional in 1996, as well as the 2005 regional for the men.

“This is just tremendous for the city of Chicago and DePaul,” women’s basketball head coach Doug Bruno said. “To be able to host any NCAA championship event is just a great opportunity to show their love for the game of women’s basketball. It’s a huge opportunity.”

The four regional sites for 2019 are Albany, New York (Times Union Center), Chicago (Wintrust Arena), Greensboro, N.C. (Greensboro Coliseum) and Portland, Ore. (Moda Center).

The regional will consist of three games: two Sweet Sixteen games and one Elite Eight game, with the winner going to the Final Four.

“When you can bring people from all parts of the country in here to see what Chicago has to offer and what the Wintrust Arena has to offer, it’s a great opportunity,” Bruno said. “I’m just thrilled.”

Wintrust Arena, which is slated to open Fall 2017, will seat 10,000 people. It will be the home for all DePaul men’s basketball home games and select women’s basketball games.

“The development of the South Loop, that’s why Wintrust was built,” Bruno said. “It’s going to be a great place to showcase women’s basketball.”