St. Vincent’s DeJamz: FEST playlist

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)
(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

While this year’s FEST lineup is rather interesting and strange with the paired duo of early 2000’s singer Jesse McCartney and American rapper Logic, it’s still worth taking a look at the songs that made them.  From a once-boy band artist to the promising 27-year-old Maryland rapper, this year’s FEST will not only be different in music from the festival’s past performers but also a mix between nostalgia and contemporary.  With one artist seeming too washed-out for a college concert, and the other too unknown to the mass audience to be headlining, here’s hoping that this year’s festival will bring a satisfying closing to DePaul’s end of the year concert celebration.  Here are some of the “best” songs from this year’s FEST performers Jesse McCartney and Logic.

1. “Beautiful Soul” — Jesse McCartney

Starting with the song that practically bolted McCartney’s career following his departure from the short-lived American boy band Dream Street, “Beautiful Soul” hit the number one spot on charts in North America and Australia.  McCartney performed the song across a number of television teenage sitcoms, from “The Suite Life of Zack & Cody” to “What I Like About You,” and was also heavily present in various teenage films such as “A Cinderella Story” and “Sydney White.”  If there’s one song students are looking for to throw them back in their teenage nostalgia, it’ll be “Beautiful Soul.”

2. “Young, Broke & Infamous” — Logic

Released in the early 2010’s, Logic’s first mixtape entitled “Young, Broke & Infamous” opened a variety of doors. As the up and coming rapper quickly grew to fame in the hip-hop community, he eventually earned a record deal with Visionary Music Group.  While the song of the same name of the mixtape isn’t his best work, it certainly provides fans with context in regards to how far the rapper has come since his beginning works.  While they probably won’t be played at FEST this year, the songs of “Young, Broke & Infamous” are worth a listen if you’ve never heard of Logic.

3. “Leavin’” — Jesse McCartney

“Beautiful Soul” is the only song I know from McCartney, but after a quick google search his song “Leavin’” in 2008 was attempt to break from his young image into an adult one. Long story short, it didn’t work.

4. “AfricAryaN” — Logic

Featuring Neil deGrasse Tyson, “AfricAryaN” is probably Logic’s most ambitious work from his latest album “Everybody.”  And while Tyson obviously won’t be at this year’s FEST, it’s worth a listen.