Five movies to see this summer

From sequels to spinoffs, here are some of the best movies to check out this summer:

1.”Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”

May 26

Fans of Jack Sparrow and the pirate crew are anxiously awaiting the fifth installment of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise, which is set for a release at the end of this month.  While it’s hard to believe anyone imagined a film based off a Disney World ride would result in one of the most successful film franchises of all time, the newest installment of the series is welcomed with open arms for fans.  Unlike the fourth and rather forgetful film, “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” looks promising as it not only brings back familiar characters from the original trilogy, but also showcases a wicked villain, with Javier Bardem as Captain Salazar.

2.“Mummy”

June 9

While it’s no Brendan Fraser “Mummy” from the early 2000s, this reboot starring Tom Cruise is hoping to kick the adventure genre back in theaters.  Intended to be the first installment in a possible Universal Monsters shared universe, there’s a lot riding on “The Mummy” as it attempts to compete with the countless box office hits Marvel is pouring out every summer.  Whether you’re a fan of mummies, werewolves, Dr Jekyll or Mr. Hyde, it looks as if “The Mummy” is the best bet for full action-packed adventure flick. Here’s hoping Brendan Fraser makes a cameo too.

3. “A Ghost Story”

July 7

If you’re looking for something outside the summer blockbuster norm, “A Ghost Story” offers an interesting and original look at legacy, love, loss and the enormity of existence.  The vague story of a recently deceased, white-sheeted ghost returning to his suburban home to confront his wife is rather unique and mysterious.  Starring Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara, the film is expected to be one of the most anticipated releases from A24, one of the most critically acclaimed movie distributors in the business.

4.”War for the Planet of the Apes”

July 14

For a franchise that is far better than it had any right to be, “War for the Planet of the Apes” is one of the rare instances where a reboot is just as good as the original films. Andy Serkins’ performance as Caesar has ultimately become the glue of the franchise, as it uses groundbreaking motion-capture animation acting to its fullest potential. With the series bringing a new cast of human characters to every installment, Woody Harrelson’s debut to the franchise looks menacing as he portrays an Army Colonel ready to exterminate the apes. While it may not be the final installment of the series, rumors have circulated that it may be Andy Serkins’, meaning if you’re fan of the films or the actor, this flick is worth checking out.

5. “Dunkirk”

July 21

Christopher Nolan returns to helm this epic WWII war film, concerning the evacuation of Allied soldiers from the beaches and harbour of Dunkirk, France.  Starring Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Cillian Murphy and Harry Styles, this film is not only jam-packed with promising actors, but also is supposed to introduce the audience to new names, as Nolan wanted unknown British actors to play the young Allied soldiers.  Told from the three perspectives – the air, land and sea – “Dunkirk” is set to showcase a familiar story from a unique storytelling perspective.