St. Vincent’s DeJamz: FEST 2017

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)
(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

If you’re looking for something outside of DePaul’s annual music festival FEST, from Lollapalooza to Pitchfork, Chicago’s summers are jampacked with some of the best festivals in the world.  While the tickets may be overly priced, the headliners, the atmosphere and the entire experience of a music festival in the middle of the city ultimately makes it worth it.  Whether you’re a fan of indie-pop, hip-hop, rock and roll and everything in between, Chicago’s summer music festivals offer some of the best artists in every genre. 

This week’s DeJamz takes a look at some of the headlining artists performing at this year’s top music festivals in Chicago.

1. “Oh Mama” — Run the Jewels

The hip-hop supergroup has come a long way since their initial shared tour together in 2013, which was so successful it ultimately led to forming one of today’s most popular music duos.  Headlining for Friday at Lollapalooza this summer, the two artists are easily going to be one of the most anticipated acts of the weekend.  El-P and Killer Mike made Christmas just a little better this year by releasing their new album, “Run the Jewels 3” on Dec. 24 – three weeks ahead of its stated release date.

2. “Call the Police” and “American Dream — LCD Soundsystem

After headlining for Lollapalooza last year, LCD Soundsystem returns to Chicago this summer to headline the Pitchfork Festival in July.  Being one of the best performances at Lolla last year, there’s no doubt the once broken up band will deliver a quality concert this year.  The smaller venue at Union Park this year gives any festival goer a better chance of moving closer to the stage to catch a glimpse of the reunited electronic-rock band.  The band’s recently dropped new songs “Call the Police” and “American Dream” are a definite way to introduce yourself to the LCD Soundsystem-craze.

3. “Hurt’” —Nine Inch Nails (NIИ)

Founded by Trent Reznor in the late ’80s, the American industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails has quickly become a phenomenon in itself, as bands of the same genre have been trying to replicate the sound and success of NIИ for years.  There’s a great number of smaller bands playing at Riot Fest this year but if you’re looking for the epitome of American rock, then Nine Inch Nails is your go-to.

4. “Leavin” — Jesse McCartney

If you don’t want to pay for any of these three-digit priced tickets, then you can always just enjoy Jesse McCartney at DePaul this spring.  If you don’t want to the pay $10 for that concert, then that’s understandable as well.