DePaul men’s basketball to open Wintrust Arena against Notre Dame

DePaul Athletics officially announced on Tuesday the long-rumored opening game for Wintrust Arena will be DePaul men’s basketball against Notre Dame.

The game will be on Nov. 11 and will be the first game of the season for the Blue Demons.

“We’re excited to take the next step to opening Wintrust Arena with this announcement,” head men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao said in a press release. “We’ve had some great battles and moments against Notre Dame over the years and getting them back on the schedule for the upcoming season and the following year is a natural for both our programs. This game will be a great event for us to kick off our schedule at Wintrust Arena.”

This will be the 105th meeting between DePaul and Notre Dame. DePaul has played Notre Dame more than any other opponent in history save for Marquette.

DePaul women’s basketball also received news of their first opponent at the new arena. Perennial powerhouse and former Big East rival Connecticut will travel to play the Blue Demons on Dec. 8.

“Wintrust Arena is going to provide a golden opportunity to showcase the best of women’s college basketball here in Chicago,” head women’s basketball coach Doug Bruno said in the release. “Just as Wintrust has grown to become Chicago’s bank, we have scheduled the greatest team in NCAA women’s history to grow the game in Chicago. Our DePaul women’s basketball program has always believed in playing the absolute best teams in the country, and UConn epitomizes the ultimate challenge in the NCAA women’s game.”

Season tickets are expected to go on sale this summer while single-game tickets will go up in October.

On tap for the rest of the men’s basketball schedule is three games at the Wooden Legacy tournament in California over Thanksgiving and Northwestern, which will be the third of five matchups as part of a five-year series.