Murals chronicle 120 years of DePaul’s triumphs

Josh Leff
The project was the brainchild of Bro. Mark Elder, C.M. and his ART 291 class. They chipped away at the project since last academic school year. The project will continue throughout next four years, adding four a year to bring the final total of murals to 25. (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)

The paintings beautify an otherwise barren thoroughfare while celebrating DePaul’s history.

• One of the first women to graduate after DePaul was opened to women in 1911. (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)

• The project was the brainchild of Bro. Mark Elder, C.M. and his ART 291 class. They chipped away at the project since last academic school year. The project will continue throughout next four years, adding four a year to bring the final total of murals to 25. (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)

• Ray Meyer (left) was the head coach of DePaul’s men’s basketball team for 42 years and led the team to 21 post-season appearances. DePaul law alumnus Benjamin Hooks (right), who graduated in 1948, was a civil rights activist, the first African-American criminal court judge in Tennessee history, and a 2008 Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient from President Barak Obama. (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)

• “The goal of the project is to pay tribute to the people and events that changed us,” Bro. Elder said. “We have a real ancient past here. We wanted to honor that past.” (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)

• Sister Mary Teresita Frawley, S.P and Sr. Mary Clemenza Leahy, B.V.M. were the first women to graduate DePaul in 1912. Both women traveled great distances for Saturday classes. (Josh Leff, The DePaulia)