Flynn Cameron commits to DePaul

Flynn Cameron. 
(Photo Courtesy of FIBA)

Flynn Cameron. (Photo Courtesy of FIBA)

Flynn Cameron. (Photo Courtesy of FIBA)

Shane Rene, Sports Editor

The Blue Demons will add some depth at the point guard position after the holiday break as 2018 recruit Flynn Cameron announces he will enroll at DePaul at the beginning of winter quarter.

The 6-foot-3-inch New Zealand native will be eligible to play Jan. 2, just in time for DePaul’s home match-up with Georgetown, according to Evan Daniels of 247Sports.

“We are excited to add Flynn to our group for this year. It is a unique situation being able to add someone to your team mid-year and we think that Flynn will fit right into our culture and be able to thrive,” DePaul’s head coach Dave Leitao said. “Flynn comes here with a lot of international basketball experience and also comes from a great basketball family. Flynn is a great young man and we can’t say enough how excited we are to have him join the DePaul basketball family.”

(Photo Courtesy of FIBA)

Cameron caught the attention of Dave Leitao and his staff this July at the NY2LA Sports event in Milwaukee and made his official visit to DePaul Dec. 16 when the Blue Demons played in-state rival Northwestern at Wintrust Arena.

“I’m very attracted to the city and their players and coaching staff are so welcoming,” Cameron told 247Sports. “They’re also the college that chased me the hardest making me feel like they really needed me.”

“Watching their game against Northwestern, I felt like I could make the difference between winning and losing,” Cameron told 247Sports. “Maybe not yet but in the future I believe I can.”

Cameron hails from New Zealand but most recently lived in Queensland, Australia where he attended Hillcrest Christian College (a primary and secondary school).  This summer Cameron played for New Zealand’s U19 national team in the FIBA World Cup, averaging 4.6 PPG, 2.7 RPG and 2.7 APG, according to the FIBA’s website.

(Photo Courtesy of FIBA)

With starting point guard Devin Gage out for the season after sustaining a torn Achilles against Central Connecticut Dec. 6, Cameron looks to be a welcome addition to an increasingly banged-up Blue Demon roster. It will be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets and how coach Leitao decides uses him.