Filed under Arts/Life, Music

St. Vincent DeJamz

The day has finally come. Philadelphia rapper Meek Mill has been released from prison after being arrested in November 2017 for violating his parole. As someone proudly from the Philly suburbs, Meek Mill’s absence has been felt throughout the city with #FreeMeek posters, stickers and graffiti littered the streets. It’s safe to say our #FreeMeek prayers have been answered. Now, all we can do is wait for his epic comeback album to be announced. In the meantime, here are four of Meek’s best songs to celebrate his homecoming.

Dreams and Nightmares-Meek Mill

The opener for his debut album, “Dreams and Nightmares” is a powerful anthem wherein Mill celebrates achieving his dreams in spite of the many obstacles in his way on his climb up the hip-hop ladder. The Philadelphia Eagles adopted the song as their unofficial theme song for an uphill-battle season that ultimately ended with a Super Bowl championship in February. Without a doubt, the line “Hold up, wait a minute. Y’all thought I was finished?” will be recited throughout the City of Brotherly Love this week.

Lord Knows (feat. Tory Lanez) – Meek Mill

Meek Mill takes an assist from Tory Lanez on this intense song that is perfect to listen to when you want to feel like you’re a big deal. It serves as the intro track on his highly anticipated sophomore album. A recurring theme for Mill’s music is him looking back proudly on his success and recognizing his prowess as an artist, and this song is no different. Even better, he does all this while heavily sampling Mozart’s classic “Lacrimosa” from “Requiem Mass in D Minor,” making the beat all the more impressive.

1942 Flows- Meek Mills

In “1942 Flows” Mill delivers a powerful anthem describing the state of black life in America as well as his rise from the bottom. He adamantly addresses his presence in hip-hop and reinforces his intent to go nowhere. Even though it originally came out on his 2017 album “Wins & Losses,” the song hasn’t lost any heart. As such, this is a completely fitting song to listen to as Mill keeps his word and returns to hip-hop after his brief stint behind bars. If you find yourself looking to celebrate Mill’s return to the free world, I suggest you start and end here.

Ima Boss (feat. Rick Ross) – Meek Mill

Meek Mill and Rick Ross join forces to create a song entirely dedicated to touting their status in the industry. In “Ima Boss” they both recap some of the greatest things that have happened since their success, and in typical hip-hop fashion, models, poppin’ bottles, cash and alcohol are mentioned repeatedly. Despite having notably different styles, Mill and Ross are able to collaborate and create something entirely unique. Now that Mill is out and free, he has the perfect opportunity to reinstate his status as a boss.