Filed under Arts/Life, Music

St. Vincent DeJamz

Spring is on the horizon which makes this the perfect time to get your life in order and partake in some good old fashioned spring cleaning. There’s just something about cleaning up the clothes and loose cardboard boxes that litter the floor that makes you feel in control of things. Because midterms just ended, spending your time cleaning is the perfect way to further procrastinate work for finals that you should probably be getting a head start on. The DePaulia has compiled a  playlist for you  to take the rare opportunity to simultaneously be productive and procrastinate.

Africa – Toto

Truly a song for any and every occasion, “Africa” is the timeless anthem you need to guide you through your spring cleaning. This is the perfect song to belt out as you break down those cardboard Amazon boxes that you’ll probably put in your neighbor’s recycling bin. With Toto doing what they do best in the background, your cleaning is destined to go smoothly. Might I suggest the homemade music video by actors and real-life couple Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard on their African vacation to take the song to an entirely different level.

Pocketful of Sunshine – Natasha Bedingfield

One of my all-time favorite songs, “Pocketful of Sunshine” will transform an average spring cleaning experience into a spiritually transformative event. Accompanied by Bedingfield’s powerhouse vocals, singing along to this song is destined to make cleaning much quicker and more satisfying. The early 2000s nostalgia that it will stir up is a bonus byproduct of this hit. Luckily, thid is the type of song that can be played on repeat for an incredibly long time without getting old so no matter how long you’ll be busy, your pocket will be full with sushine all the while.

ABC – Jackson 5

I don’t know about you, but the extremely high-pitched voice of a young Michael Jackson is exactly what I need to get the motivation to do the dishes that have been piling up for days. It’s an upbeat tune sure to get you in the cleaning groove before you know it. “ABC” is probably one of the most recognizable songs from the Jackson 5 making it the perfect soundtrack to sing along to. Its popularity is also a plus when your neighbors hear your music because no one in their right mind can get mad at a young King of Pop seeping through the floors on a Sunday afternoon.

Underdog – Spoon

“The Underdog” is a song that deserves a listen when you want to feel triumphant and effortlessly cool, so it works best toward the end of your spring cleaning extravaganza. The brass instruments that comprise this easy-listening tune are the perfect background music for when you’re wrapping up and finally taking out those last few overflowing trash bags. At the beginning of your cleanliness journey, if you felt at all overwhelmed by the task before you, having “The Underdog” serve as the finale song is the poetic justice you deserve.