DePaul finds true love with their Romeo

More stories from Paul Steeno

The Blue Demons have added transfer student Carte’Are Gordon to its roster. (Konrad Markowski/The DePaulia)

The DePaul Blue Demon men’s basketball team just received a verbal commitment from a potentially program-changing recruit.

On an Instagram live video taken in his high school gymnasium, class of 2019 four-star small forward Romeo Weems picked the Blue Demons over Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Oregon. The New Haven, Mich. resident is graded out as an 89 overall and is rated as the best player in Michigan in his class and the No. 30 overall player in the country in his class according to ESPN.com.

Last season at New Haven High School, Weems averaged 23.5 points, 10.8 rebounds, 5.3 assists, and 4.8 steals per game. He led the Rockets to a 26-1 record and a trip to the semifinal of the Michigan High School Athletic Association Boys Basketball Championships. He helped his high school team win the state championship his sophomore year and his team had a 52-game winning streak stretching across both those seasons before the semifinal loss in the state tournament this spring.

Weems also won a gold medal in 2017 as part of the USA Basketball Men’s U16 National Team at the Americas Championship.

Weems is the first ESPN top 100 recruit DePaul has secured straight out of high school since 2013 when Billy Garrett Jr. decided to come to Chicago to play for the Blue Demons.

The Blue Demons infamously missed out on two class of 2018 ESPN top 100 recruits this winter (No. 99 Bryan Penn-Johnson and No. 100 Tyger Campbell), but Weems is a nice consolation prize to say the least.