Senior Day for DePaul men’s soccer spoiled, Creighton wins 2-1

Senior Day for the Blue Demons would be spoiled Saturday afternoon, as the nationally ranked Creighton Blue Jays (13-2-2 overall – 6-1-1 Big East) defeated the men’s team 2-1 at Wish Field.

The Blue Demons (4-9-4, overall – 1-5-2, Big East) knew they would have to be aggressive against a Creighton team that has allowed only 8 goals on 108 shots attempts this season.

The Blue Demons would answer the call early as senior Curtis Weir would make the most out of his first start of the season with a goal in the 41st minute of the first half, opening the scoring on the day.

“It means a lot to me when you consider the support I’ve had here in my four years,” Weir said.

The goal wasn’t an easy one, as Creighton would play passing lanes very physically throughout the day, fouling on most DePaul’s quality chances.

“I saw the ball being lofted my way, so I just tried to get in position. The ball hit the bottom of my foot actually, but once I made some contact, I knew it was good,” Weir said.

DePaul’s defense was tough all day, forcing Creighton into countless scrambles and turnover.

However, you can’t keep a team like Creighton down for too long, as sophomore Fabian Herbers would prove in the 30th minute ‒ tying the game up with an electric, agile goal, while avoiding several Demon defenders in the process.

Herbers would again impose his will in the second half, as he assisted junior Mike Paye with a gorgeous touch pass in the 39th minute, creating space for the mid-fielder to score.

For DePaul, Mack Robinson would continue his stingy goalkeeping ways, saving six goals on 13 shots.

Offensively, Simon Megally was very active and put a lot of pressure on the vaunted Blue Jay defense, with his best chance coming in the 20th minute, banging off the top goal post from roughly 20 yards out.

DePaul’s record doesn’t match its talent and depth, as they’ve ran seven matches into overtime, as well as half of their matches being decided by one goal.

The team will look to finish their season with a victory as they travel to Marquette next Friday, Nov. 7.