Five DePaul women’s soccer team members named to All-Northeast region team

Amber Paul embraces junior Elise Wyatt after a goal against Creighton Saturday Oct. 11 in a 2-0 victory. (Maggie Gallagher / The DePaulia)

There was reason to feel proud of what DePaul women’s soccer team accomplished this fall. Now they have another reason to be proud.

The National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) named five Blue Demons Dec. 3 to the All-Northeast Region team and head coach Erin Chastain was named the region’s Coach of the Year.

Senior defender Sarah Gorden was named as a member of the Northeast Region’s first team, the only Blue Demon to do so. Rachel Pitman, the team’s other standout defender, was named to the region’s second team.

Also named to the second team was junior Elise Wyatt, who scored 11 goals this season. Wyatt also had seven assists for a total of 29 points.

Newcomers Abby Reed and freshman Alexa Ben were named to the All-Northeast third team. The two had a huge impact for DePaul this season with Reed leading the team with 12 goals , while Ben also had 29 points.

Chastain earned the Coach of the Year award for leading her team to a 16-1-4 record, their lone loss coming at the hands at No. 7 Wisconsin in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

DePaul women’s soccer also earned their first Big East championship this year and finished the year ranked No. 19 nationally.