‘Twist Your Dickens’ hilariously toys with holiday tradition

Francis Guinan (Scrooge) and Peter Gwinn (George Bailey) in The Second City’s "Twist Your Dickens, Or Scrooge You!" by Peter Gwinn and Bobby Mort at Goodman Theatre.
Francis Guinan (Scrooge) and Peter Gwinn (George Bailey) in The Second City’s “Twist Your Dickens, Or Scrooge You!” by Peter Gwinn and Bobby Mort at Goodman Theatre.

Unique and offbeat productions have become somewhat of a staple in the Chicago Christmas theater scene. New shows are blossoming amid the countless holiday classics, shows that are hilarious, touching, and matchless all at once. There is something particularly thrilling about the culmination of tradition and innovation that resides in novel holiday shows. The fast-paced and side-splittingly funny Second-City production  “Twist Your Dickens,” written by former “The Colbert Report” writers Bobby Mort and Peter Gwinn and directed by Matt Hovde, has inundated The Goodman’s Owen Theatre with laughter, spontaneity, and a whole new kind of holiday cheer.

The production clings to some semblance of the original “A Christmas Carol” as it explores the crotchety Ebenezer Scrooge and his mistreatment of the noble Bob Cratchit, but skews and diverts the tale in the most hilarious and energetic of ways. It possesses the impulsivity of an improv show and the production quality of a renowned show. With cast members heckling from the audience, Batman and Dorothy making appearances, and the ghost of Christmas Past cruising onto the stage on a skateboard with a boom box in hand, the show delivers its audiences with a never-ending barrage of hilarity and charm.

Renowned Chicago actor, Francis Guinan, glows as the infamous Ebenezer Scrooge. His role presents a special challenge, teetering between the realms of tradition and modern raunchiness, but Guinan finds this equilibrium with gusto and poise. The artistry that he possesses is always apparent, but never diverts the pleasant humility that he brings to the roles that he breathes life into. Though the show is deliciously sporadic, his is a presence that grounds and centralizes its hilarious chaos.

The talented Frank Caeti brings a tremendous level of laughter to the production, as well. Primarily, he portrays an ’80s-infused Ghost of Christmas Past though he takes on several other smaller and hysterical cameos throughout the show, as well. There is an “ah-there-he-is-again” kind of feeling when he pops up as Batman, Charlie Brown and one of Tiny Tim’s unfortunate friends, though the newness he brings to each character is also astounding and delightful.

Sayjal Joshl, Beth Melewski and Tim Stoltenberg who portray Tiny Tim, the Ghost of Christmas Present and Bob Cratchit shine in their title roles and their entertaining cameos alike. Their energy is infectious, their talent is apparent and the heart that they bring to their portrayals is brings both humor and sentiment to the show. The improvised holiday tune that Melewski belts out upon the suggestion of a title from the audience is a highlight of the ever-delightful show.

“Twist Your Dickens” offers impulsivity, hilarity, and artistry in one unique and wonderful production. It is delightfully varied, chock-full of talented cast members, incorporates the perfect amount of audience participation, and is filled to the brim with a whole new kind of raunchy and hearty holiday humor. It is the ultimate holiday treat for those seeking to bring newness and laughter to their Christmas traditions.

“Twist Your Dickens” runs at The Goodman Theatre until Jan. 3.