Review: Good Stuff Eatery serves great burgers

Good Stuff Eatery is a chic, urban restaurant that serves top-notch burgers, fries and milkshakes. And when I first heard of a burger restaurant opening up in the Loop I couldn’t resist making my way over there as soon as I could.

Good Stuff Eatery's Prez Obama includes onion marmalade, applewood bacon, Roquefort cheese and a horseradish mayo sauce. (Photo courtesy of Colby Tawney)
Good Stuff Eatery’s “Prez Obama” includes onion marmalade, applewood bacon, Roquefort cheese and a horseradish mayo sauce. (Photo courtesy of Colby Tawney)

The family-run company, founded by former Top Chef contestant Spike Mendelsohn, has been around since 2008, with locations in Washington D.C., Crystal City, Georgetown, Philadelphia and even a forthcoming location in Saudi Arabia.

Their latest location opened in the Loop on Jan. 28th.  The company branched out to Chicago after its “Prez Obama Burger” was named the 2014 Judge’s Choice Winner of the Hamburger Hop, a burger competition in Millennium Park.

The menu features farm fresh beef burgers and turkey burgers, in addition to the option to “Cluck It” and make any of the burgers on the menu a chicken sandwich. It also features hand-spun milk shakes, floats, wedge salads and sides like hand cut fries and vidalia onion petals.

The now-famous “Prez Obama Burger” is nestled between a brioche bun with onion marmalade, applewood bacon, Roquefort cheese and a horseradish mayo sauce.  After biting into it, it’s apparent why it’s award-winning. The bitterness of the Roquefort cheese pairs perfectly with the sweet onion marmalade, making it an irresistible combination.  The crispy bacon’s smokiness and the tang of horseradish mayo adds great flavor to this masterpiece of a burger.

Good Stuff Eatery’s Cliff’s homegrown vidalia onion petals are fried in a light crispy batter creating an almost abstract onion ring.  When you order their onion petals you are directed to their dip bar, which includes basic condiments like ketchup and mustard, and unique dips like mango, sriracha, chipotle, and old bay mayo. Mango and chipotle mayo were appealing, as sweet and spicy usually pairs well with a savory food item, and the chipotle mayo proved to be amazing.

Prices at Good Stuff Eatery range from $6 to $9, and is located just blocks away from the DePaul Loop Campus, at 22 S. Wabash Ave.