Recap: 71st Golden Globe Awards

The Golden Globes aired Sunday, Jan. 12, with a lot of surprises, a ceremony malfunction and a few flukes that people will be talking about for the next week. In case you weren’t watching, here’s what you missed.

The two big prizes of the night were no surprise, with “12 Years A Slave” and “American Hustle” taking home the Best Picture award in their respective categories. Meanwhile, Matthew McConaughey took home an award for Best Actor (drama) for his role in “Dallas Buyers Club,” over predicted winner Chiwetel Ejiofor. Other surprises included a win for Jared Leto, also for “Dallas Buyers Club,” and Jennifer Lawrence for “American Hustle,” beating out favorite Lupita Nyong’o. Director Alfonso Cuaron took home Best Director, which could mean he’ll win the Oscar in late February, and favorite Spike Jonze received his first Globe for Best Screenplay.

In the television category, “Breaking Bad” won Best Dramatic Series, while new show “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” received the award for Best Comedy Series in one of the evening’s most shocking turns. Best Actor in a Dramatic Series went to Bryan Cranston for “Breaking Bad” in a fitting farewell to his series, while Andy Samberg won Best Actor in a Comedy Series, a win no one could have predicted. Other awards went to Amy Poehler, long overdue, for her work on “Parks and Recreation,” while Netflix got even more love with Robin Wright’s win for “House Of Cards.”

Hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler made the ceremony funny and lively, with jokes that were fresh and almost always hit their mark. Also in the mix was Diane Keaton, accepting the Cecil B. DeMille Award on behalf of Woody Allen, along with a speech encapsulating his entire career of work.

Amongst the many weird occurrences of last night’s event was the long, painfully overdrawn acceptance speech of Jacqueline Bisset, the many photo bombs made by Jennifer Lawrence during the red carpet pre-show, and the burst water pipe which soaked the red carpet before the ceremony even began.

With the film wins at last night’s Golden Globes, it’s hard to tell what the rest of awards season has in store. For now, it’s very up in the air.