Days of Terror: “House of 1000 Corpses”

When I checked this movie out at my local Family Video, the employee there asked me if I’d ever seen it before. I answered no, and she said “This movie is so weird. I don’t even know what else to say. I don’t even know if it’s scary. It’s just so weird.” I couldn’t agree more.

Where I watched: DVD

Length: 88 minutes

Prior knowledge of the film: Absolutely nothing.

A first for this list

I haven’t liked movies on this list (just Freddy vs. Jason so far), but I have yet to completely hate a movie I’ve watched. This changed tonight, as I went and rented “House of 1000 Corpses,” also making it the first film on this list I’ve paid for as well. I actually can’t remember ever hating a movie this much. This is officially my least favorite movie to ever be created. It’s so bad, and not even in a way that can be enjoyable at all. Of course, not every moment of this list has been enjoyable, but this was the first time I completely hated my life for 88 minutes straight.

Was it actually scary?

Not really. I spent most of the film being annoyed at every character in it, so any time one of them was threatened I couldn’t have cared less. While it wasn’t scary, the movie was absolutely disgusting. Everything in this pile of trash was shot and filmed for shock purpose rather than actually being scary. Instead of anything that made me fearful, it was disgusting shots of masturbation, bodies being cut open and the other disgusting antics that the main family got into.

Overall consensus

My feelings about “House of 1000 Corpses” are the same as Roger Ebert’s feelings on 1994’s “North.”

“I hated this movie. Hated hated hated hated hated this movie. Hated it.”

There was nothing I didn’t hate about “House of 1000 Corpses.” The thing that I ultimately hated the least was the appearance of Rainn Wilson (only because I love Dwight Schrute so much), and he was killed halfway through the film. I hate every character. I hate every scene. I hate every word of dialogue. I hate the fact that Rob Zombie made this. Most of all, I hate that I watched it, and I have to watch the sequel, too.

[box]Read more in the 30-day October horror movie challenge, Days of Terror[/box]