Days of Terror: “Freddy vs. Jason”

For the first time in close to 10 years I watched one of my favorite movies when I was younger — and it was completely terrible. The first bad movie on my list, “Freddy vs. Jason” was such a cliche ridden disappointment.

Where I watched: Youtube

Length: 97 minutes

Prior knowledge of the film: I definitely watched this a lot as a kid (why did my parents let me) and thought it was a great movie. I was wrong.

Why was this ever appealing to me?

I loved this movie when I was younger. I remember saying in my 6th grade class that this was my favorite movie, much to the dismay of my horrified looking teacher. What was wrong with me? Granted, I also thought Ashlee Simpson was a terrific musician at the time, but I can’t believe my tastes were this bad.

I think this movie was so appealing to me, and other idiots, because it’s a twist on a sub genre that is so painfully repetitive. Having these two iconic characters face off against one another is a good idea to sell in the box office. Who would win? Both of them have seemed indestructible in their original films and millions of sequels that followed. It’s a really creative premise, or at least that’s what I’ll tell myself when I sadly wonder why I liked this movie so much.

Was it actually scary?

I mean, of course. All slasher movies are terrifying by default. Especially one that’s a combination of two of the creepiest horror movie villains in history. In the Freddy vs. Jason of who is a scarier villain, I’d give the edge to Jason. Freddy Krueger talks, which makes his less of a terrifying villain because it establishes any semblance of a personality. The fact that he says any words at all gives him significantly more of a personality than almost any other horror movie villain.

I also feel like that’s Freddy’s weakness — he kind of has a personality, and he likes to toy with people, which could come back to get him. Jason, on the other hand, is a big, hulking mass of silence that solely lives to stab people with his machete while terrifying whispers (really, who came up with that music?) play in the background.

Overall consensus

It’s a horrible film. I guess its good that I had it on my list, as so many horror movies are just terrible. What would this list be if it didn’t represent at least half of the horror genre by being a complete pile of garbage?

I’m so sad Kelly Rowland is in this. Kelly, you were in Destiny’s Child while this film was made. How could you be in something so great and so horrible at the same time? What did Beyonce have to say about this?

While it’s an inventive on the super-repetitive and boring slasher sub genre, “Freddy vs. Jason” is a pile of trash. I want my hour and a half back.