Coffee off the beaten path

January and February are notorious for being pretty boring months, especially when the weather is this cold. In these two months, it is easy to feel like there is nothing to do when you have to spend so much time indoors. I decided to go around the city and look at coffee shops and cafes that were off the beaten path.  These would be excellent places to go pass the time, go on a date, or study somewhere that isn’t on the Lincoln Park campus.

Katy Ramsey, a Sophmore and International Studies major said she goes to Eva’s off the Sedgewick stop. Ramsey says the “homey” atmosphere and the great coffee are perfect for studying.

Another student, Tyler Bentacourt, also takes advangtage of Chicago’s coffee scene in the winter months. He goes to The Wormhole Coffee Shop during snowy days. “I feel as though I have been transported back into the 80’s where Super Nintendo, pop rocks, and Back to the Future were all popular” he says.

Those are their personal favorites and here are some of mine that I came across:

De-li-cious Caf’ÛΩ

Located just off of the Addison stop, De-li-cious Caf’ÛΩ can be described as eclectic, charming, and quaint. Every item of the menu is both vegan and taste bud friendly. The caf’ÛΩ is home to tea, coffee, smoothies, chai, pie, scones, breakfast sandwiches and many more. A favorite dish is the cranapple pie which goes quite well with a Florentine (half coffee and half hot chocolate).

Atmosphere: Quiet and calming. This would be the perfect place for studying.

Clientele: Hipsters who have their noses buried in books or staring intently at their computers.

Background Music: Indie Rock

Quality of Food and Drink: 5/5

Prices: $$

Intelligentsia Coffee

Intelligentsia Coffee puts a modern twist on French coffee and pastries. This caf’ÛΩ on Randolph St. appeals to both the hipster and the businessman. Its minimalist d’ÛΩcor and instrumental music make it a unique place to lunch or simply discuss politics over espresso. Intelligentsia has a tea list as well as a list of daily coffees from around the world. Food includes things like croissants, madeleine’s, and macrons.

Atmosphere: A little hectic and loud. While it is possible to sit down to read or study, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Clientele: Anyone ranging from the Italian couple sitting in the back to students and men in suits.

Background Music: Instrumental

Quality of Food and Drink: 4/5

Prices: $$

Julius Meinl Coffee Shop

Julius Meinl is very European with its coffee served in glass teacups like in a caf’ÛΩ you might find on the streets of Paris. Its marble tables and centerpieces set a sophisticated tone, which would be perfect for Sunday brunch. Julius Meinl is more of a restaurant than a caf’ÛΩ, although it is perfectly acceptable to just have a cup of coffee. The menu features salads, sandwiches, pastries and desserts. The shop carries its own brand of coffee and features flavored coffee drinks similar to those of Starbucks. The shop also hires live musicians to play in the evenings on weekends, if you’re ever looking for something to do.

Atmosphere: Sophisticated.

Background Music: Jazz

Quality of Food and Drink: 3/5

Prices: $$$

City Grounds

City Grounds is the closest caf’ÛΩ to the Lincoln Park campus. It’s a mere 10-minute walk off the Armitage stop. City Grounds is very small, but quiet and good for studying. The shop is decorated in the modern-minimalist style. Menu items include pie, croissants, cookies, scones, and gourmet cheese. The daily coffee menu includes a wide range of espresso and coffee from around the world as well as seasonal drinks. City Grounds has tea as well which is served in glass teapots.

Atmosphere: An interesting mix of both serene and upbeat at the same time.

Background Music: Folk rock, indie rock, and soft rock.

Quality of Food and Drink: 5/5

Prices: $$