Self-defense classes: A good option for DePaul students

Krav Maga will show you how to disarm or neutralize an attacker and end a fight as quick as possible. (Wikimedia Commons)

Safety has become a concern as students at DePaul University are becoming victims of assault, weather physical or sexual, on an all too regular basis. 

According to DePaul’s public safety website there were 11 reported assaults in 2013. There have been 13 reported assaults in 2014, including a sexual assault Nov. 8 on the 2200 block of North Kenmore.

Assault is an ongoing issue, with an increasing cause for concern, within the student body of DePaul.

“I am surprised about the amount of assaults, especially in Lincoln Park,” DePaul junior Matt Barbuscio said. “It makes me wonder what public safety is for.”

The alarming rate of assaults have made the issue a top priority within the DePaul community, but until the school and the authorities figure it out, students maybe looking to add another class to their schedule while at the university.

Self-defense.

“When it comes to self-defense I would tell everyone to take classes, but don’t just take one class and think you’re well prepared to defend yourself,” Jack Shilney, creator of Chicago’s Finest Tactics, said.

Shilney is also the creator of College Bound Safe and Sound, a program that focuses on how to deal with volatile situations that may arise on a college campus, and he knows that practicing self-defense is never a bad choice.

“The more you practice and become proficient the better,” Shilney said.

Being proficient may be the difference between becoming the victim of a robbery or assault, and being able to escape by disengaging or subduing a would-be attacker.

There are many forms of self-defense that can, at the least, help students get away from a potentially dangerous situation.

Within the 13 assaults on campus this year, 41 percent of them were sexual assaults.

Women are constantly harassed around campus, yet outside of a 911-phone call or can of pepper spray, some members of the female student body feel as if they have no practical knowledge on how to defend themselves.

“I don’t like walking around campus alone at night,” DePaul senior Ivy Li said. “I’m often scared and try to have someone, like a friend, walk with me.”

If DePaul students no longer want to feel like victims walking around their campus, nervous to turn a corner because of what might lie ahead, taking a class in self-defense would be a good option.

With the rate of reported assaults increasing around Lincoln Park campus, self-defense is a new class that should be added to every student’s curriculum.

When it comes to self-defense, there is something for everyone. There are many systems to choose from, and all a student has to do is take the time to see what works for them.

Boxing

Also known as the sweet science, boxing has been around since ancient Greece. It is a great way to stay in shape, learn how to move your feet, throw a combination of punches correctly and how to dodge and deflect punches thrown your direction. Make sure to always wear headgear when you spar.

Where:

TITLE Boxing Club Chicago Lincoln Park

Boxing Gym

2417 N. Clark. St.

Chicago, IL 60614

Muay Thai

Developed in Thailand, Muay Thai is “the art of the eight limbs” because of its use of punches, elbows, knees and kicks. It’s a vicious sport and grueling on the body. It takes time to develop the leg in a way where it hurts them more than it hurts you, but when perfected, nothing will tell someone, “leave me alone,” more then a shin across the face.

Where:

Chicago Muay Thai Kickboxing Club

2440 N. Lincoln Ave.

Chicago, IL 60614

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Brazilian Jui Jitsu is the art of grappling and submission, or ground fighting. Unlike any other form of martial arts, Jiu Jitsu is one of the only forms where you can be the smaller person and be on the ground, on your back, and still be at an advantage. Jiu Jitsu revolves around body control, and using an assailant’s garments to control the situation, which will turn into joint locks and chokeholds.

Where:

Gracie Jiu Jitsu Lincoln Park Team Redzovic

2440 N. Lincoln Ave.

Chicago, IL 60614

Krav Maga

The Israeli self-defense system developed for the military combines all martial arts forms and how to use them in a potential life-or-death situation. Krav Maga will show you how to disarm or neutralize an attacker and end a fight as quick as possible. Krav Maga is great for street fighting scenarios where someone has a gun or a knife.

Where:

Krav Academy – Krav Maga School

1235 N. LaSalle St.

Chicago, IL 60610

Wrestling

As old as time, wrestling is a combat sport that is based around grappling, clinching, takedowns and joint locks, similar to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. A well trained wrestler understands the importance of staying on top of an opponent and never allowing an attacker to put them on their back. It is difficult to find a sport or self-defense that demands more of a person’s body then wrestling. An efficient wrestler can control almost any situation.

Where:

Chicago Hope Academy

2189 W. Bowler St.

Chicago, IL