You’re here for who? Part eight

Jessie Ware:

Getting her start in 2009 in South London, Jessie Ware slowly eased her way into the music scene doing backing vocals for Jack Peñate and collaborating with SBTRKT on his track “Nervous.” Finally landing a record deal with PMR Records, Ware began releasing singles in 2011 and putting out her debut album “Devotion” in August 2012. While Ware is pretty well-known in the U.K., she is slowly making her name known in the U.S.

The R&B pop artist’s sound is quite ethereal, relying primarily on synths, drums and her powerful vocals. Ware keeps her music to the slower side, but manages to keep select tracks like “If You’re Never Gonna Move” upbeat and fun.  Ware seems to draw some inspiration from the ’80s via Whitney Houston and Barbara Streisand on tracks like “Still Love Me” and “Sweet Talk” but manages to also include futuristic twists.

Guards:

With a lo-fi garage rock sound perfect for summer, Guards are sure to fit in effortlessly at Lollapalooza. Their carefree, thrown-together composition works due to added details like strong guitar riffs and an unexpected organ.

Unlike many bands, Guards establishes its signature sound strongly on their first self-titled EP, unlike many bands who tend to experiment with different sounds the first time around.

On their first full-length album “In Guards We Trust,” the band continues on with their grungy ’60s-inspired sound, but definitely steps it up in terms of composition. The album is an easier listen than the EP with less distortion and more attention to detail. Highlights include “Giving Out,” “Ready to Go” and “Not Supposed to Know.”

If you’re looking for a great tribute to ’60s rock, Guards has it.

Little Green Cars:

Coming from Dublin, these indie rockers definitely have something to add to this year’s Lollapalooza lineup. The five-piece group may only have one album behind their name – “Absolute Zero” – but the group gives off a much more experienced feel.

The sound definitely contains touches of folk coming from the lead vocals alone as well as the emphasis on backing vocals, reminiscent of Fleet Foxes. However, to stand out from the overwhelming trend that is indie-folk, the group trades banjos for heavier guitars and drums, managing to incorporate stronger rock influences into their sound. The mix of the two genres definitely works and adds an unexpected twist to the album.

“My Love Took Me Down to the River to Silence Me” is easily the strongest on the album. With Faye O’Rourke taking her turn as lead vocalist, the track stands out strongly from the rest. The track also features a deep guitar riff, catchy chanting and, of course, a chorus containing the backing vocals of every member in the band.

And just when you think you know what you’ve gotten with Little Green Cars, they throw you a curveball with “Red and Blue.” The track features dream-like synths and heavily auto-tuned vocals. Although the track was a huge risk, it was highly successful and adds the perfect, shocking twist to the album.

The band definitely has me waiting in anticipation to see what they’ll do next, and is high up on my must-see list at Lollapalooza.