Hillary Clinton returns to Chicago suburbs near hometown

RC4
Rodham Corner, in Park Ridge, Illinois, was named in honor of Hillary Clinton. The spot is near her childhood home. (Ylldes Mustafa / The DePaulia)

The Maine South High School fight song plays in the hallways during passing periods. Teenagers squeeze down the crowded hallways with their heavy backpacks, walking past the school’s “Wall of Honor.” Few notice that alongside other notable alumni, the wall includes a picture of the person who might be the next president of the United States.

Hillary Rodham Clinton once roamed the same red-and-white halls that these through which these teens shuffle. Clinton’s family moved from the city to suburban Park Ridge, on the border of Chicago’s Edison Park neighborhood, when she was 3. In many ways, her childhood in this small town of 37,839 people located about 15 miles northwest of the Loop shaped her political career.

Today, Clinton will return to the Chicago suburbs for a Hillary For America event in an Evanston home, alongside U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky and Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl.

As a child, Clinton and her mother spent a great deal of time in the Park Ridge public library. She was also part of Girl Scouts. In her teen years, Clinton attended Maine East High School from freshman to junior year. Due to a large number of student enrollment, Maine South High School was opened and Clinton completed her senior year there in 1964.

“I met Hillary my freshman year at Maine East High School,” Mike Andrews, a Maine East alum, said. “She had a good sense of humor, always worked hard on her school work and cheered for friends on the athletic field.”

Clinton not only cheered for her friends on the field, but also played on the field.

“She was also a pretty good athlete,” Andrews said. “At that time there were no organized girls sports, so she participated in intramural sports and the Girls Athletic Association.”

At Maine East, Clinton was involved with student council and on the student newspaper. After transferring to South, she became a member of the National Honors Society and also continued with her participation in student council and class government. During her senior year at South, Clinton ran for senior class president.

“She was the only female running for class president at the time,” said Karen Blumenthal, author of a new biography on Clinton aimed at young adults. “While she was running for office, one of her running mates, a male, asked her why she was running for president and not secretary.”

Clinton attended Maine East High School, where she was elected class president. (Ylldes Mustafa / The DePaulia)

Although Clinton did get an early start in politics at a young age, her views didn’t always match the ones she has today.

“She was a total Republican,” Blumenthal said. “Her father was Republican and she grew up in a very conservative, non-diverse town, so it makes sense.”

Clinton followed Republican views throughout high school and even campaigned for Barry Goldwater, the Republican nominee for president in 1964. It wasn’t until Clinton went to college where one can notice a change in her political views.

While attending Wellesley College, Clinton began to lean more liberal. She attended the 1968 Democratic National Convention and also attended rallies in Grant Park for other democratic issues.

“We all knew she was always extraordinary,” said Ernest Ricketts, a Maine South alum and longtime friend of Clinton’s. “She was so studious and smart all throughout school that you just knew she was going to be something great.”

Ricketts and Clinton were neighbors growing up and attended the same schools from elementary to high school.

“We were in the same class in fourth and sixth grade,” Ricketts said. “I remember one time in the fourth grade I was sick and Hillary brought me my homework. Not many people can say that the Secretary of State brought them their homework.”

Another childhood friend, Kathleen Burgess, also shares fond memories with Clinton.

“I first met Hillary during my freshman year in homeroom,” Burgess said. “We stayed close throughout the years.”

Clinton, Ricketts and Burgess all remained close through the years. They would continue to see each other at high school reunions and catch up on what’s been missed.

“We had a slumber party a few summers ago,” Burgess said. “It was just a few of the girls, Hillary was there, and it was nice because we all got to reunite and talk about our families. I remember that Hillary wasn’t a grandma yet and she asked me ‘Kathleen, what’s it really like having grandkids and all?’ It was just a fun time all around.”

hilary
Clinton’s 1957 class photo.

Ricketts remembers a time when Don Jones, a minister at Park Ridge’s Methodist Church, left a big impact on him and his classmates, Clinton included.

“I remember he taught us about service and compassion,” Ricketts said. “He emphasized that we are responsible for the welfare of other’s and that it is our duty to help those that are less fortunate. Maybe that left an impact in Hillary and she chose to use her political career to help others.”

Clinton has not only impacted history, but has also impacted the lives of her childhood friends.

“We all knew that she would go far and do the best job possible with whatever she chose to pursue,” Burgess said. “When my first daughter was born I named her after Hillary. My Hillary was born in 1978, so I guess Hillary Rodham had quite a lasting impression on me. My daughter is very proud of it all.”