Miley Cyrus should no longer be viewed as a child

After Miley Cyrus’ surprising performance this year at the MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs) many of us were left wondering, “what happened to good ol’ Miley?” Cyrus shocked the audience while performing her summer hit song “We Can’t Stop.” Miley was seen “twerking” across stage, assaulting a foam finger, smacking the bottom of one of her backup dancers, all while having her tongue hanging out during certain parts of her performance. She was wearing tight body suit before stripping down to a scantily clad nude outfit to perform with Robin Thicke his song “Blurred Lines.”

During her performance with Thicke, Miley stepped in front of Thicke, bent over and proceeded to twerk on him. I guess it’s safe to say that was the climax of her performance, leaving many people speechless. “I was pretty stunned when I saw her performance,” Arene Dababneh, an international studies student at DePaul said. “I really like her music but she didn’t have to take it that far.” Social media exploded with comments about how sloppy she looked. The day after the performance was even named “National Squat Day,” which was designated to make people squat so their behind doesn’t end up looking like Miley’s.

There were a lot of cruel comments and memes about her look and her performance. As disgraceful as Miley may have looked that night onstage, there seems to be one part of Miley’s history that people can’t seem to separate from her current self: her previous role of Hannah Montana. Miley captured the hearts of many when she starred as Hannah Montana on Disney Channel, which was about a teenage pop star living a double life. During her Disney Channel years, Miley was seen as a sweet, innocent young teen that many young girls looked up to, with parents viewing her as a positive role model. But Miley hasn’t always been seen as perfect in the eyes of some people. The first time Cyrus really raised eyebrows is when she posed topless at a photo shoot when she was 15 years old. Although she had a blanket covering her front, the images still sparked controversy, with many people claiming the shoot was inappropriate for a teenager. She later created more fury with parents when she “pole danced” at the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards in 2009. Even though all she did was shimmy down a pole on top of an ice cream truck, she was criticized for her behavior at a show for kids.

Then in 2010, she was captured on video smoking salvia in a bong. At that point, it seemed we lost our sweet Cyrus forever – until this year’s VMA’s. Miley recently did an interview with MTV and offered no apologies. She firmly stands behind her performance. “I don’t pay attention to the negative because I’ve seen this play out so many times,” Cyrus said. “Madonna’s done it. Britney’s done it. Every VMA performance, that’s what you’re looking for; you’re wanting to make history.”

Regardless of what Miley is doing in the spotlight, one thing is for certain: We need to stop seeing her as Hannah Montana and finally accept her as a grown woman. Marxline Naadjie, senior, didn’t see Miley’s performance as something that hasn’t been done. “She did nothing different than what other pop stars like Madonna or Lady Gaga have done,” Naadjie said. “I really don’t see the big deal.” It’s ridiculous to continue to hold Miley accountable as a role model for young girls. She is her own person and has the freedom to do what she likes.

Parents should stop focusing on Hollywood stars as their children’s role models and hold themselves responsible for the morals they instill in their children. Miley owes no young girl in America an apology for her recent behavior, nor does she owe them an explanation. Parents should be able to teach their kids the difference between Hollywood and reality, not Miley singing about drugs. I will mention that the way Cyrus is expressing her adulthood may not be the best path, but ultimately that’s what can happen when you are famous.