DePaul 0-2 Louisville: Women’s soccer can’t pull off Big East upset

DePaul women’s soccer couldn’t pull off what would have been a tough conference upset Sunday.

The Blue Demons took on Louisville (6-2-0 overall), who has received nine votes to be in the NSCAA/Continental Tire Top 25, and lost a very tough game to the Cardinals 2-0.

“Louisville is a tough team to beat,”said head coach Erin Chastain. “They are a very good team that will finish either first or second in the conference.”

Louisville started things off with a magnificent curving shot from outside the penalty box by Courtney Holtz that was assisted by Charlyn Corral in the fifth minute. Corral, who is also a three-time member of the U-20 Mexican World Cup team, scored on a chip shot in the 30th minute as well.

“They scored a good first goal on a great finish, but the second goal was a really soft goal,” said Chastain. “That was something that just shouldn’t happen.”

Chastain gave a lot of credit to DePaul’s backline of Sarah Gorden, Nina Kordros, Kylie Nordness and Rachel Pitman, who limited Louisville’s chances and kept them to only six shots on goal, just one more shot than Louisville had against powerhouse Notre Dame on Friday. An impressive feat, considering DePaul spent most of the first half in their own half of the field.

They did begin to pressure Louisville more with their offense after the half, but could not make anything out of their chances, particularly on the four corner kicks they received in the second half.

“Our team played well outside of that first goal — they dealt pretty well with them,”said Chastain. “When you are playing a good team and you start from behind, it’s hard to get back in the game.”

DePaul recorded six shots overall, but none on goal. They also switched goalies from Megan Pyrz to freshman Alejandria Godinez after halftime.

DePaul’s next game is a Thursday match against the Saint Louis University Billikens at 4 p.m.