DePaul women’s basketball dominant in return to McGrath-Phillips Arena

The scoring came in abundance for DePaul women’s basketball Friday as they dominated the Creighton Bluejays 96-71 at McGrath-Phillips Arena. It was the first home game for the Blue Demons since a two-game road trip on the East Coast.

The trio of Brittany Hrynko, Chanise Jenkins and Jessica January would prove to be the difference in the game, as they accounted for a total of 30 points and eight assists in the first half alone.

The Blue Demons haven’t taken in a home crowd since their Jan. 11 win against Xavier.

With 2,479 on hand to welcome the Demons back from their East Coast trip, they were fast and aggressive on both sides of ball.This aggression led to 10 Creighton turnovers and 49 DePaul points in the first half.

After a double digit loss to Seton Hall last week, head coach Doug Bruno, per his usual self, harped defense to his team all week; noting that they can’t play their style of offense if they don’t defend the ball to his level of satisfaction.

“Seton Hall was our worst defensive output of the year,” Bruno said. “We started the (Creighton)  game with great energy, and we were able to maintain it. Brittany started off a bit rocky, but really grabbed ahold of herself quickly and was great for the duration of the game, as you saw.”

For Creighton, guard Marissa Janning, the reigning Big East player of the year, was held to just 5-14 shooting. She was shadowed by Hrynko, finished with 27 points.

Janning, who came into the game averaging almost 16 points per game, was only able to get off five shots in the first 20 minutes.

Four players would finish the contest in double figures, including some big first half buckets from senior Centrese McGee.

“I was mad about last week,”  Hrynko said when asked about her aggressive style on Friday night.

“We handled business at St. Johns, but couldn’t at Seton Hall. We couldn’t rebound and defend like we needed to.”

That couldn’t be further from the truth against Creighton.

While the first half was certainly an efficient one for the Demons, they would start the second half on a 15-3 run, with those all of those points coming from Jenkins, Hrynko, and January. The Blue Demon lead climbed to as large at 37 points.

Starters would remain in the game till the five minute mark, roughly.

This would be Hrynko’s seventh contest  with more than 20 points.

As a team, the Blue Demons would maintain their top conference ranking in terms of scoring margin at +14.

DePaul then followed up Friday’s win with a  90-42 win against Providence Sunday.