DePaul Humanities Center ends book series with “Monster”

Classic children’s books aren’t usually analyzed from a philosophical and literary perspective, but DePaul Humanities Center director and professor of philosophy Peter Steeves did just that during the last event in the “Discards: The Future(s) of the Book and Library” series. The event, titled “The Monster at the End of Every Book,” was a fitting conclusion to the series, underscoring the importance of the library and the physical book by way of an interactive, multimedia lecture.

The discourse was structured around Steeves’ favorite childhood story, “The Monster at the End of This Book” published in 1971, where Sesame Street’s “lovable, furry, old Grover,” upon noticing the title of the work, becomes extremely afraid of the monster at the book’s conclusion. The narrative focuses on Grover trying to get the reader to refrain from turning each page, and in examining his ongoing terror at reaching the end of the book, Steeves said, we can explore the relationships between Grover, the reader, and the book itself. In conjunction with modernist works from authors such as Joyce and Sartre, among others, Steeves creates a far ranging analysis that identifies its existential, psychoanalytical and phenomenological themes.

The lecture also included contributions by professor of philosophy Danielle Meijer, who read the book aloud in character as a schoolteacher, in an appropriately modernist take on the conventional form of a lecture.

Steeves notes that through the course of the story, the reader becomes the agent of time, giving them a more direct involvement in the book and helping it operate as a modernist allegory.

“The reason I did this was both because I loved this book as a kid and also because I thought it was a good way to think about what a book is,” Steeves said. “So that was the whole point: the book has a force that makes you want to read it.”

Sophomore Brooklynn Leonhardt, an attendee, said she enjoyed the unconventional aspects of combining a children’s story with multimedia in the presentation, as well as the interactive elements between the audience and Steeves.

“I liked the connections and allusions made to adult literature, specifically canonical literature and art, and other inside allusions to Sesame street,” Leonhardt said.

The lecture closed with a dance between Steeves and a Grover mascot, and was followed by a milk and cookie reception in the spirit of the Cookie Monster. Additionally, a copy of the children’s book was given to each audience member.

Although this event was the last in the “Discards” series, there will be three more DePaul Humanities Center events before the close of the academic year. The final event is a 24-hour reading of George Saunders’ full bibliography, taking place from 8 p.m. to 8 p.m. on June 2nd and 3rd. Steeves added that celebrity guest readers will include actor Jesse Eisenberg, musician Jeff Tweedy, and Saunders himself.

“We’ve asked the mayor’s office to proclaim that day ‘Chicago hearts the liberal arts day,’ so we’ll try to get all of Chicago about the humanities and liberal arts education,” Steeves said.