Riot Fest announces move to Douglas Park

Riot Fest attendees enjoy The Dandy Warhols during the 2014 festival. Many Humboldt Park residents and Ald. Roberto Maldonado want to ban the festival from returning. (Kirsten Onsgard / The DePaulia)

After protests from Humboldt Park residents and 26th Ward Ald. Maldonado, Riot Fest announced May 20 that the festival will move to Douglas Park on Chicago’s West Side.

“Recently, as evidenced in the media, there were those who attempted to divide the Humboldt Park community with unfair and unjust tactics that in no way represent the overwhelming majority of the 26th Ward residents and businesses,” reads a statement on the festival’s website. “And while Riot Fest supporters stressed that without question, Riot Fest has done nothing short of showing their unparalleled devotion to the city and the neighborhood they called home, Riot Fest partners, Michael Petryshyn and Sean McKeough made the ethical decision not to allow the festival to be used as a pawn and removed Riot Fest from the conversation regarding the ever-changing face of Humboldt Park.”

Some 26th Ward residents created a petition to ban the festival, and voiced their concerns about unpaid damage to the park and disrespectful festival attendees. Others said it brought new visitors and tourists to the West Side neighborhood. The festival invested heavily in local charities and hired over 400 community members to work at the festival.

Riot Fest’s Chicago lineup will also be announced next week.